• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weight of d60 VS d70 rear

Not trying to be a wise ass, but what configuration?

Custom built D60 like most run against a stock junkyard D70? Junkyard FF D60 with stock drum brakes? With disc brakes? Junkyard semi-float D60?

I doubt many, if anybody, has actually weighed them, but someone might know where to look. A normal junkyard D60 is 30 spline, while all the semi-float D60's everyone runs are 35 spline. The D70 is 35 spline.

ya I really did not know how many configurations there were but my choices right now are between a d70 out of a 1ton dually early 80's or late 70's with 4.56's full floating or a d60 out of a unkown vehicle with 4.10's full float w/ drums....or 14 bolt with 4.10's full float w/ drums.....so I really am liking the 4.56 gears on the d70 but weight is a big issue because is going on my pre-ruuner... any help is greatly appreciated if you know where I could look for more info...

I just assumed that the d70 would be heavier because of the massive housing and probably much bigger drums...

EVERYTHING on the 70 is bigger than the 60 (with the exception of the diff cover and a few bolts you wise asses
fawk.gif
), and it's all made of metal. I'd be willing to be that you're right in your assumption.
biggrin.gif

Billy

i guess what I meant is it a considerable difference in weight .....10-15lbs is ok .....35-45 lbs is not.....

I'm sure it's 35 or more if they're both equipped with drum brakes. If they're both converted to disk... maybe less. It kinda depends on what model of each you mean too.

I'm building a 60 for the rear of mine and it is one of the biggest I've seen. It has 3.5" OD, 1/2" thick axle tubes, Dana 70 size hubs, and it had massive drums.

Billy

Back