• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY AX15 Transmission stick shift, Need Help Please

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, im currently in the delay process of waiting for my parts to fix my stick shift boot and the oil ring that sits in the stick shift housing.

but if any one has the shifter i have then you would understand why im here asking how to take the thing apart so i can slide the boot on.

any help would work, please no stupid posts or thread hijack.

S4024438.jpg

S4024440.jpg

S4024441.jpg

S4024442.jpg

S4024443.jpg

S4024444.jpg

S4024445.jpg

GET WHAT YOU CAN OUT OF THIS

Last edited:
Year? I have a 93' and I just did the clutch a couple weeks ago. I don't remember anything special about the shifter. :confused:

If I remember correctly from doing my clutch there wasnt anything special about it as jelrod said. I know the top boot portion (the one you can see) just slides over, you need to remove the shifter ball and it will slide down to that split thing. The lower metal/boot part that covers that main hole may be the same, I just tore all the interior out of my XJ so that should be open right now, I'll take a run out in a bnit to check it out see what it looks like, maybe snap a pic or 2 of it.

well i know exactly what i need to take off in order to put the new boot on, ive removed the shifter out of the bottom housing, cleaned it all out and put some grease in it untill i get my new oil seal and boot, but i have to seperate the top part of the shifter from the bottom part in order to put the boot on, its the only way.

any other way would rip it, and i dont want to have to order another one.

Ah alright, I see what your saying I think. If its the part I am thinking of then I never got that far down so I didnt have to worry about taking the shifter apart. Sorry I cant be more help but my Haynes is in storage so that wont do me any good either :banghead:

You can't pull that section apart. You have to carefully stretch the new boot over it. As I think you figured out, packing the snout with grease will help keep water and dirt out.

You could maybe cut it towards the top (small opening to make it slide easier and either zip tie it at the top or use a torch to meld it back.

You can't pull that section apart. You have to carefully stretch the new boot over it. As I think you figured out, packing the snout with grease will help keep water and dirt out.

i hope it will stretch that much without ripping, cause ill be pissed...

thanks for the advice.

You could maybe cut it towards the top (small opening to make it slide easier and either zip tie it at the top or use a torch to meld it back.

wtf are you talking about?

im putting a boot down a shifter which has a huge metal obstacle in the way, all in which is metal, and im not cutting my boot.

15522-md.jpg

I searched, and it seems that the shifter is in two pieces, with that flared part of the lever fitting over the lower half, and held in place with tabs of some sort. There were posts saying you could depress and turn the lever and remove it completely, although nothing too clear. They may have been talking about removing the entire lever, and not just the upper half.

Have you looked underneath that flared part to see how it's connected? Can you get something (ie, small screwdriver, stiff wire, etc) in there and probe around?

I took my shifter stalk apart right where the rubber is. I pulled the whole shifter out by pulling the 4 bolts on the tranny. The whole thing then comes out. I put it in a vise and you will notice that there rare metal pieces between the rubber and the lower arm. I slid a flat blade screwdiver on both sides and then grabbed the top piece and popped it loose. Putting it back together was not hard. You slip the pieced together and press.

I used a generic aftermarket boot I got at Autozone, for the seal fromt the shaft to the floorpan.

Old man is right, you can separate the upper section of the shifter from the lower section by slipping flat pieces of metal(metal hacksaw blades work iirc--it's been years) against the square, leaving that lower unpainted section still bolted on the tranny.

ok so this is getting me some where and i thank yall much for it... now tell me please,

do i put the metal between the "shims" and the rubber? or between the "shims" and the lower half (unpainted) shifter?

Heres a diagram of some stuff that i know, because i took it apart, and the red area where i have a slight idea about. illustration should help any one who knows explain the situation to me.

9496_1.JPG

Last edited:
Like old_man said, the two pieces of the stick are pressed together. I took the whole shifting assembly out and placed it into a vice, and pulled it apart.

So i got the 2 parts in, and was waiting for a day off work to put them in, and struggled like hell to pull the shifter apart, but here are some pics for future reference.

Hack saw blades ?
Would I insert them on the right and left sides of the shifter ?
The front ?
Anybody got a pic of it apart so that I can understand what/how I'm supposed to disassemble this thing ?:dunno:

Whoops didnt see the second page. Sorry and thanks!

Sorry to bring up a dead forum, but I would love to know what you guys did for a replacement boot. Every jeep dealer around here (Raleigh, NC) says that its a discontinued part. I'm tired of not being able to roll my windows down without a rush of hot air coming up from the shifter hole.

Back