• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC vs Non-AC belt sizes

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Is there a difference in belt sizes between a 4.0L with AC, and one without AC?

I'm adding an AC compressor to my XJ, and I'm wondering if I need to pick up a new belt. Judging by the difference in pully size my guess would be yes, but I wanted to check first.

My XJ (88') doesn't have AC, so right now I have the so called "AC delete pulley."

However, when comparing pulley sizes the AC compressor has a larger pulley. I tried test fitting the compressor tonight and it bolted right up, but the belt seemed to be to short.

I'll call the local parts store tomorrow and see if they list two part #'s.

My XJ (88') doesn't have AC, so right now I have the so called "AC delete pulley."

However, when comparing pulley sizes the AC compressor has a larger pulley. I tried test fitting the compressor tonight and it bolted right up, but the belt seemed to be to short.

I'll call the local parts store tomorrow and see if they list two part #'s.

Where did you find the delete pulley for an 88?

Or if you
1. mount your compressor.
2.Find your, or your wifes, or whatever's tape measure for say a belt?
3.flexible tape measure around the pulleys adding pulley top to pully top and
4.Adding them up, you should be within an inch, which your
5.tension pulley will take the rest.
6.take that to NaPa and ask them for that length belt.
7.try to get the same number of grooves(mine have 7)
8.Buy that
9.install, adjust, and drive.

this took me prob an hour from start to finish, with a trip to above mentioned retailer.
Good luck

Last edited:
Where did you find the delete pulley for an 88?

My XJ didn't come from the factory with AC. Where the AC compressor should be, there is just a bracket with an idler pulley. So to answer the question it's stock.

I also called around today, and only one size belt is available. I'll mount the compressor tomorrow and see if my belt will fit. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

My XJ didn't come from the factory with AC. Where the AC compressor should be, there is just a bracket with an idler pulley. So to answer the question it's stock.

I also called around today, and only one size belt is available. I'll mount the compressor tomorrow and see if my belt will fit. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

It should. The AC delete pully was probably originally done by AMC to 1) simplifiy logistics and 2) simplify engineering (only have to stock one size belt, only have to work out one routing pattern.)

If you do end up doing this install, I'd like to see if I can talk you out of the idler pully & bracket.

Back