• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mass confusion on 97 xj transfer case

aquaholic

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know if my NP-261 transfer case is original to my 97 xj? i was under the assumption that my stock transfer case was an NP-231. i just went out and read the tag and to my surprise it says new process model and a 261 stamped into the tag.

Huh? Pics or GTFO! :D

Better read that again. It's either a 231 or 242.

i have never heard of that before...

i'm not a jeep guy but i swear that trans case looks original. i'll try to take a pic of it and post it. maybe it just has a wrong tag. be right back.

heres a few pics.
DSC00285.jpg
DSC00290.jpg

oddly enough i do have a 4L80E but its in my chevy avalanche 2500 NOT my jeep. while i'm on the subject of transfer cases, did someone install a drop kit on this xj or is that spacer on the crossmember from the factory?

thanks hubs. i thought this cherokee was a creampuff. maybe i was wrong. this thing was definately never lifted (until i got it). is there some reason someone would do that?

thanks hubs. i thought this cherokee was a creampuff. maybe i was wrong. this thing was definately never lifted (until i got it). is there some reason someone would do that?

As long as you anti seize the bolts, a lift isn't that hard to remove.

Try removing the rear leaf spring bolts. Are they nearly impossible, taking hours to remove, or are they just a PITA. That could tell you :looney:

the forward most leaf spring bolts will not come out without a torch. i had a 3' breaker bar and a 3' pipe on them and twisted the breaker bar until i nearly broke it. everything on the jepp looks equally aged and sagged out so i'm definately claiming it was never lifted. back bolts did come out of the leafs but it took air tools and heat. it sat lower than a stock xj until i lifted it. fwit the trans case drop spacers are steel. just couldn't figure out why someone would do that.

I could say that leaf would be OEM stuck haha

Maybe they were having problems with the U-joints also, and thought that might help it

Back