• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputtering problem when accelerating

callmebobbyt

NAXJA Forum User
its a little more complicated than the title. i have a 95 xj 4.0l HO. it idles fine and runs fine after accelrating to speed. when i press the pedal from idling rpms it sputters and jumps but after that clears up its fine, and when its idling its fine. this tells me not the fuel filter or pump. i already replaced the wires and plugs, and the dist cap is getting spark at every post. i checked over the vacuum lines last night because that was my next thought as to what it could be, none disconnected, none rotted out or split. ne one else have this problem? what was it and how do i fix it? or ne other suggestions as to what it could be?

i put in some speakers a few days before it happened but i did nothing with them that would have ne thing to do with the motor. no amp or ne thing yet. i was at a light one day waiting it changed i pressed the gas and it did it. had the problem since, about 2 weeks now

Noticed mine did it after i replaced the CPS the first time every now and then, but eventually went away. It may not even be related. Tried cleaning out your throttle body?

If the '95 4.0 has an EGR valve, I'd check to see if it's operating correctly.
If it's stuck open slightly, it could cause stumble off idle.
On my '88, the built-in back-pressure transducer was allowing the EGR valve to open too soon, causing a stumble.
Disable the valve and see if your stumble goes away.

I'd suggest if you are going to maintain your own Jeep, you should at least purchase an after market manual applicable to your year and model. Spend the time to understand the basics, then ask for clarification.
Chilton, or Haynes are examples. The best is the manufactures FSM, but $$$.

Back