• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any mazda people in the house...non rotary

silverslk

NAXJA Forum User
So my neighbor picked up a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX. Its clean and seems to run good (40K on jap motor) with only 118,000 miles. Problem is the guy he bought it from said it shifted funny because it needed a bushing in the shifter. We put a bushing in it and it does shift better problem is it has trouble engaging 2nd. Every other gear works flawlessly but 2nd. No grinds just feels rubbery and 50% of the time you might get it or not.

Its going to need the 1-2 shift hub and dogs, possibly a 2nd gear depending oh how worn the teeth for the shift hub are.. Tell him to check out clubprotege.com for more info, they have a bf forum over there as well..

Scott, when it does grab 2nd it doesnt grind or do anything weird. $th gear used to feel this way but I played with the cable adjustments and its there 100% of the time. Is there any chance its not internal to the trans? The guy claims he had it rebuilt recently.

I had an '87 that started that way, then it got worse with vibration until it finally broke a shaft and cracked the case.

I'd say you're going to have to get in it and see what's worn/broken.

my MSP did the same thing, going to second i had to double clutch in order to "Finess" it into 2nd, also noticed shifting it hard into second seemed to work good aswell, but i didnt need to drive like an ass every time i wanted to get into second..

Thanks for the tips guy!!!!

Fixed (or rigged) it tonight. The shifter cable that does front to back movement was worn through and allowing the innner cable to bow out and preventing the lever on the trans from selecting 2nd. It pulls for first but has to push for 2nd and instead of pushing it bowed out of the cable sheathing. Called the dealer set of cables is $285 !!!! haha Wrapped it with tubing and tape to troubleshoot/verify problem. Shifts great now.

Find a wrecked 323 and pull the cables.

regular 323's us linkage shift......I've owned Jeeps and VW's and know all about pulling parts at yards, haha

As far as a wrecked 323gtx.......only 1,243 sold in North America in 88-89 time frame.

take the cables off and bring them to a hose shop most of them make cables too, Ive had 1/8 od cables made for $25-30 bucks depending on what ends you need. The isuzu's at work use cables for damn near everything

Back