• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 inner pinion bearing race?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
So... I'm setting up the gears in a Dana 44 from a '76 F100 and my inner pinion bearing race is not a press fit... in fact, it's pretty loose in the housing (maybe .1000 thousandths too small). I double and triple checked the bearing vs application and the housing doesn't seem to be worn like the old bearing spun... so I'm kinda lost
dunno.gif

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Billy

yeah all i can think is the bearing spun but you said no. its LP correct?

Last edited:
Alright, I compared my old bearing to the new one and they are not the same. I can't find my bearing listed by application, but I traced it back on the Timken site to find the cup that I need.

The cup that's listed for this application is a HM88610 and is 2.8438" OD... the one that is needed is a 31520 which is 3" OD.

Now I gotta find a cone and two cups locally to start the front gears tonight, but at least my housing isn't junked.
happysad.gif

Billy

I have a dana 44 from an early Dodge W150. When I ordered my install kit, it came with a inner pinion bearing/race that didnt fit. I went back to 4 Wheel Parts and showed them what was up and they had to order a different bearing/race for me. Seemed that the dana 44 in these trucks used a different bearing from the newer model dana 44 in the Dodge Ram, but the axle is just the same.

Was there any notations while ordering an install kit? You could also use the BOM and get a exploded view from dana to get the correct part# if its not legible on your old bearing.

I have a dana 44 from an early Dodge W150. When I ordered my install kit, it came with a inner pinion bearing/race that didnt fit. I went back to 4 Wheel Parts and showed them what was up and they had to order a different bearing/race for me. Seemed that the dana 44 in these trucks used a different bearing from the newer model dana 44 in the Dodge Ram, but the axle is just the same.

Was there any notations while ordering an install kit? You could also use the BOM and get a exploded view from dana to get the correct part# if its not legible on your old bearing.

Thanks for the reply. I did get it figured out (the post right above yours). My axle is from a '76 F100, so it's too old for the DANA EXPERT site. Everywhere I look it up by application, I get the wrong bearing number... so I dunno what the deal is with that.

I did find the bearings locally (West Coast Differentials) and they knew the part numbers as Dana 44 pinion bearings
dunno.gif

Billy

man thats good news for sure. i had the same problem but it ended up being the difference in LP vs HP.

Back