• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TnT Flex Joint Question

XJawgi

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question regarding the lower control arm flex joint that bolts to the belly pan. I just installed the y-link and have about 100 miles on it. I noticed it was very noisy. I can basically feel it clunking right under my feet. I expected it to make a little noise, but not this much.

So i get under the vehicle and i see the flex joint is cocked and is hitting the inside of the belly pan mount like this:

IMG00069-20090405-1726.jpg

I did some searching and basically people said just make sure the jam nut is tight and the bolts that connect to the belly pan are tight.

So i straightened up the control arm so its not cocked and I went back through and double checked my jam nuts and double checked the bolts to make sure they were still torqued to 150 ft lbs. I also made sure they were well greased.

I am still getting bad noises and the joint became cocked again.

Is there something im missing?

Thanks!

i have the y-link on my 95 xj. i had the same issue with the flex joint being crooked for a while and also some noise.

for the crooked joint issue; i loosend the jam nut and straightend it up. i held it in place with a pry bar as i retightened the jam nut. its been good since with two good runs on it. it really didnt help the noise issue. i have a popping coming from the steering (have yet to find out where from but its been there since stock) and my UCA bushing need replacing. i have heard that the y link is very hard on the UCA bushings so you may want to take a look at yours.

Is the jam nut on the right "end"?

Similar to what was said before, for the joint being crooked loosen up the jam nut and straighten it. What I usually do is slide something (like the handle part of a crecent wrench) in between the joint and "whatever else."

So for your case, slide it in between the joint and the belly pan so when you tighten down the jam nut it works as a 'spacer' so the joint can't become crooked from torquing it down.

Back