• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nitto Mud Grapplers

Cody90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I bought a set of new 35x12.5x18 Mud Grapplers and I'm wondering if they are going to be ok on the set of used 18" Moabs rims that I just got. The sticker says that the tires need to be on 8.5" to 11.0" rim and the Moabs are only 7.5"s wide. Any thoughts on this?

You can probably mount them up no problem, I would think pulling the sidewalls in that far would cause you problems down the road.

Moabs are 16" and 17" on the newer JK's. Not 18".

Ok, I got the rims from a guy on craigslist. The info I got was that they are 18x7.5. Comparing them to my 16" rims it looks correct. I never put a tape measure to them. I may be calling them the wrong name. He said they came off his TJ. I can email someone a photo if they can host it for me to show everyone what I am talking about.

I see this ending badly.

Reminds me of a high school friend that showed up with blinging 5 lug rims and new mud tires to run on his Chevy 1/2 ton 4wd in the back of his truck that he had bought on clearance sale in a town 4 hours away. He was stoked until I asked him to count the lugs on his truck now and then count the lugs on his new bling. He was mad because whoever he bought them said they would fit a 1/2 ton chevy. And truthfully they would fit a 2wd chevy (5 lug) but not a 4wd Chevy(6 lug).

Moral of story: never trust anyone when buying something, especially when a good deal.

It's a 17" wheel. In for the confirmation. :(

You might as well try and return the tires for the right size. Most will let you return them if they've never been mounted.

Ok let me explain again the question is about the width not the diameter. The tires that are the rims right now are 275/75/R18's. Also again I may be calling the rims by the wrong name. They look Very similar to the Moabs that are on the JK's 16"/17" only these are 18" and have a little raised portion in between the spokes. I bought these rims because they look good and they are on craigslist all the time. If I jack one of them up I can buy another one cheaply. I think I am going to have them mounted up and if it's just messed up I will buy another set of rims that are wider. :peace:

why would you run 18's on an XJ ... unless you're like this guy:
jordanjeepnew1.jpg

Everyone in the world runs a 12.50 tire on a 8" wheel. Thats the normal thing on a jeep. Even more so if it gets wheeled. So I would say the 1/2" less will not kill you. You will have to run the pressure low to get a go contact patch. Somewhere in the 20-25lb area. Expect the center of the tire to wear out faster than the edges, but thats about it. You would be better off with a 9" wheel, but it will work

Everyone in the world runs a 12.50 tire on a 8" wheel. Thats the normal thing on a jeep. Even more so if it gets wheeled. So I would say the 1/2" less will not kill you. You will have to run the pressure low to get a go contact patch. Somewhere in the 20-25lb area. Expect the center of the tire to wear out faster than the edges, but thats about it. You would be better off with a 9" wheel, but it will work

Ok this is more of what I was thinking. I'll get them mounted up and figure out how to post pictures on a website again.

So heres how they turned out. I still haven't trimmed the fenders or finished the bumpstops but, so far they work great in the field behind the house. The side walls don't seem to be bulged to far. More pics tommarow. It also looks to be riding pretty high right now. This was just after I got it off the lift so it settles down after a bit.

Phonepics011.jpg

wow, I was going to say just mount the stupid things, it will be fine but you already did that. them are some loud tires, hear they rock the snow though.

Back