• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Score! (and a question or two)

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
I've been hitting he local pull a part here in Pennsyltucky in my off time. They usually have a plethora of ZJ's with a few XJ's mixed in. (Harry's)
I went down on Tuesday to finish pulling the 4L60E for my bro-in-law and decided to look around for a NP231. I had thought I checked every XJ in the lot when as I was passing an older Explorer I noticed a 96 vintage 231 laying on the ground. :rock:
Everything looked good, it had all of the sensors and the only problem was a slightly misthreaded bolt hole for the tailshaft.

So I pay for it, throw it in the truck, and went to removing the 4L60E.
As I'm pulling the trans, they start putting a new row of vehicles in. I notice that there is a late model lifted XJ being placed. I immediately forgot about the trans and headed over. (I was looking for some mirrors)

After pulling the mirrors, I thought that this must have something I could use so I looked underneath....SCORE!
_DSC0031.jpg

_DSC0034.jpg

_DSC0033.jpg

So now I have two NP231's I can only guess that this is a lower priced version of a HD SYE but I have limited knowledge of it. The housing seems poorly cast and the speedo gear teeth are a little chewed up and I'm hoping that I can just flip it or get a new one.
_DSC0050.jpg

_DSC0051.jpg

I guess the PO did this, there is a crazy amount of RTV and the drain/check bolts are pretty boogered up. I ended up switching them around.
_DSC0053.jpg

_DSC0052.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. I ended up with two serviceable cases, a SYE, and a ZJ front DS for 140 bones.

The question I have is this. What would I have to do to run my speedo on the 92? The two new ones have speed sensors on them and I think my 92 has a cable. (I haven't verified this; my Jeep is stored elsewhere)

Thanks for reading!

John

The cable went away with the 91's electronic OBD I system. Even if it is cable opperated the hole is the same. Your sender should plug right in. Nice score by the way!

nice score! did you rip any lift items to resell?

nice score! did you rip any lift items to resell?

I looked at the lift, shocks, lines, etc and they were very badly rusted. I wouldn"t recommend them to anyone. (Besides, I'm not that type of person)

The first TC will end up for sale after I install and verify everything works on the first.

Last edited:
Back