• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 rear

rockcrusher

NAXJA Forum User
what years or where can i find a rear d44 or should i go with a 8.8 im running 4.5 lift rc and 31x11.5

Last edited:
This is a vague question...

Do you want a bolt in 44 for an XJ that requires no work? You need an XJ D44 rear. Supposedly came in anything from 87-89, but I've only heard of ones from an '87.

You could use a waggy D44 rear, but you'd have a different bolt pattern, a little wider, and prob want a waggy D44 front to match it.

There are others out there (Isuzu comes to mind...?) so do some searching.

8.8 is the common cheap swap and is more than enough for 35s.

i kick my self cause i wrecked my mustang and had alot of money in the rear end and motor so now i wish i would have kept it it would have been nice to have a 10 sec xj lol but having the disk brake of the 8.8 would be good so im going to find a nother 8.8 where can you get the spring perches and shock tabs and thanks for your help

Ruff Stuff specialties for the swap kit all the way. Great cust service and the stuffs really beefy. Its what I went with.

Check the axle FAQs at the top of mod tech. There is a lot of good info as to what to look for, what will work for what, which 8.8s aren't going to work for your XJ, etc.

my 44 is from an 89, they are out there.

i kick my self cause i wrecked my mustang and had alot of money in the rear end and motor so now i wish i would have kept it it would have been nice to have a 10 sec xj lol but having the disk brake of the 8.8 would be good so im going to find a nother 8.8 where can you get the spring perches and shock tabs and thanks for your help
The Mustang 8.8 and Explorer 8.8 (31 spline) are not the same. You dont want to put a Mustang 8.8 in a Jeep.

thanks for thr info as soon as i build my engine i will be doing some type of rear end upgrade . One more question ive loked at ring and pinions ford is 4.10 and dana is 4.11 is that a problem or not enough to worry about

thanks for thr info as soon as i build my engine i will be doing some type of rear end upgrade . One more question ive loked at ring and pinions ford is 4.10 and dana is 4.11 is that a problem or not enough to worry about

Anything within about .08 is the 'same'. it just has to do with math (dividing the ring gear teeth by the pinion gear teeth). It can't always work out to exactly the same, but its close enough.

You can find a D44 out of an MJ all the way to 1992. But the perches would have to be redone to fit an XJ.

You can find a D44 out of an MJ all the way to 1992. But the perches would have to be redone to fit an XJ.
you should really re-do the perches anyway, to get your pinion angle right.

my axle was from an MJ with the "metric ton" package

what years or where can i find a rear d44 or should i go with a 8.8 im running 4.5 lift rc and 31x11.5

If you want cheap and easy (like I like my wimmins) just get a later-model XJ (29-spline) 8.25.

Real close to 44 strength, easy to find, cheap to buy, bolt in install.

Done.

Robert

If you want cheap and easy (like I like my wimmins) just get a later-model XJ (29-spline) 8.25.

Real close to 44 strength, easy to find, cheap to buy, bolt in install.

Done.

Robert

the axle tubes are actually over 1/4in larger in diameter too

you'd also have to weld on some shock mounts, as the mj's are attached via the lower spring plate...

dont look for the 44 too long, if you cant find one, just move onto a ford explorer 8.8 or bb 9inch

but if you do find a d44, you might look into TnT customs, the ruff stuff is nice, but it is severly lacking in the bling department

a friend of mine has a '92 that he bought in 99 from the original owner who swore he never had the rear replaced and the jeep was all bone stock and it has a D44 in it - who knows where you're going to find one

Back