• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noise under feet? Need Help

rookcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So recently I've been hearing and feeling a clunking noise under the driver side footwell. Between 35-45 mph is when it's most noticable, but I can still hear and feel it at any speed. Any ideas of what it is? :dunno: Thanks

UCA/LCA bolts loose?

Yep, tightening the control arm bolts is the first place to start. Also check the crossmember bolts.

I get it when my front suspension drops or moves suddenly. Haven't done anything...probably not the best solution...good thing I'm replacing it all with a 3 link soon. :D

I just had a similar issue.

The LCA bushings were worn out at the body end. The bolts had worn down by about few thousands and the bushing sleeve was worn by about 45 thousands.... hence a about a 16th of an inch of movement.

It was a hard find but the bushings in the RE control arms wore out be a little bit over 5 years of DD.

Jeff

I just had a similar problem and it was the TRE on the frame side of the track bar. Tightened up the nut and put a new pin in and no more knocking. So I'd also check the track bar axle end to which can be done with someone inside moving the wheel back and forth and look for any play in the axle side.

Im getting a similar noise but I think my motor mounts are shot. and its my motor causing my trany ant tcase to flop around. cause it happens mostly when i start the heep up and let the clutch out to go.

I had this, it got really annoying but when I installed my lift it went away.. probably Control Arm bushings... for me at least

Which bushings should I replace? I want to do them all just bto get em done
Just unbolt one end of a control arm, one control arm at a time, jiggle it, and listen/look for what moves excessively. If you have trouble getting a bolt out use a floor jack on either the track bar mount or pinion to rotate the axle either way to ease the tension or compression on the joint to get the bolt out easily.

If none of them move check other issues suggested in the thread, but I'm betting its a bad CA bushing.

Oh sorry, I think I may have misinterpreted what you said. If you want to do all of them, you want bushings for the upper and lower control arms, frame and axle side. I would check them first though. Check the track bar bushing and joint for play while you're at it.

Back