• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random popping noise.

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes when I accelerate after coming to a stop, or even after slowing down to almost a stop, I hear a "popping" noise that sounds like its coming from either below/behind me, or farther back. It only "pops" once, and doesn't do it everytime, but fairly often. The closest sound I can think to compare it to is in the winter time when you get in/drive it for the first time after the suspensions frozen up a little. Any ideas of what I should look at or what could be causing this? Thanks!

Man, it could be any one of a thousand things. Anything from suspension components to steering geometry to a transmission mount...you get the picture.

The best advice I can give is crawl under the thing with a few wrenches and shake the hell out of anything you can get your hands on. Then if it moves, tighten 'er up and move on.

I had the same "pop" a while back. Turned out my passenger-side coil spring popped out of it's retaining clip and began rubbing against the bump-stop. By the time I figured it out, I had every bolt in the whole front end torqued.

Good Luck!

I bet you drive a 99.......My fathers and my friends makes that same noise. Especially when taking off from a stop. I heard from a Jeep tech that 99+ rear ends are problematic.

Mine 99 does it sometimes. I think its actually a backfire through the intake. Something to do with the gas in the tank sloshing away from the pump when pulling up to a stop causes fuel pressure to drop momentarily causing the backfire.

If it was something mechanical in the suspension I would assume it would do it almost every time from a stop.

Are you less than 1/4 of a tank of gas when this happens?

I had the same thing recently. I had my son rock the Jeep back and forth (caution - don't piss your son off the day before you try this) and found that the bushings in the rear upper control arms were worn (this was on a TJ). Be patient and let your ears take you to the source of the noise. If that dosn't work and it sounds like a drive line issue try a stethoscope. Start at the transfer case and work your way back. If that doesn't work "Take it to the trail and drive it like it's somebody elses Jeep" It may not solve the problem but you'll feel better afterwwards.
A snap or clunk noise when the vehicle is shifted
into gear (or the clutch engaged), can be caused by:​
²​
High engine idle speed.

²​
Transmission shift operation.

²​
Loose engine/transmission/transfer case mounts.

²​
Worn U–joints.

²​
Loose spring mounts.

²​
Loose pinion gear nut and yoke.

²​
Excessive ring gear backlash.

²​
Excessive side gear to case clearance.
The source of a snap or a clunk noise can be determined
with the assistance of a helper. Raise the vehicle
on a hoist with the wheels free to rotate. Instruct
the helper to shift the transmission into gear. Listen
for the noise, a mechanics stethoscope is helpful in
isolating the source of a noise.
Pedro

Thanks for the suggestions...mine is actually an 01. My dads 01 makes the "clunk" noise when you take off from a stop or shift it into gear. I found some time to get under my jeep today and noticed my left rear shock was loose by the upper shock mount and I think this may be causing the sound. The pin that goes through the shock is still mounted tight so is it likely just the rubber bushing on the shock wearing out?...I'll try to get some pics tomorrow while its light out.

So I finally got out and took some pictures. These show me twisting the shock to show movement the movement that the bushing is allowing. Is this a major problem? Do I just need to get a new bushing?

Edit: So can't get the pic's to work. Here's links to them:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D4Mjj2VneVM/Sd-z6oVyHzI/AAAAAAAAABQ/WCTaGxGdyvc/s1600-h/IMG_2323.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D4Mjj2VneVM/Sd-z681BktI/AAAAAAAAABY/xOlqqg_p7GM/s1600-h/IMG_2324.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D4Mjj2VneVM/Sd-z7JzwqMI/AAAAAAAAABg/cWNes5nxIyU/s1600-h/IMG_2325.JPG

Anyone know if this is something I just have to call rubicon express about? Are the bushings unique to each type of shock or is there a replacement I could find locally?

What you have there is a Bar Pin style shock. Bar Pin style shocks will bind up and pop, nature of the beast.

You could purchase a set of Bar Pin Eliminators and use standard shocks.

Back