• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gun Control Poll

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
There was an interesting poll done over the weekend, I got one of the calls. Guess this was it.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/08/gun.control.poll/index.html

What I found interesting was the timing, kind of like asking a drowning victim if there should be a law that requires everyone to wear a life vest. They polled in the 'heat of the moment' when people have not had any time to consider, a shoot from the hip poll IMO.
I bet they did not get the results they were paid to get though :D :D :D :D

I've noticed the same thing over the last couple of weeks. Seems every morning we hear about another shooting.
There was a murder and a suicide at our PX last Saturday, I was kinda surprised that I haven't seen that on the national level.

Also a new rule recently went into effect here stating that if I live off base in civilian quarters, my own home or apartment I rent, that I must register my weapons on base. If you lived on base or in government quarters you've always had to register with the Provost Marshal. I had one 1SG, First Sergeant, tell me my wife had to register her weapons because I lived with her. I laughed at him, and transfered all ownership of our weapons to my wife.

I've noticed the same thing over the last couple of weeks. Seems every morning we hear about another shooting.
There was a murder and a suicide at our PX last Saturday, I was kinda surprised that I haven't seen that on the national level.

Also a new rule recently went into effect here stating that if I live off base in civilian quarters, my own home or apartment I rent, that I must register my weapons on base. If you lived on base or in government quarters you've always had to register with the Provost Marshal. I had one 1SG, First Sergeant, tell me my wife had to register her weapons because I lived with her. I laughed at him, and transfered all ownership of our weapons to my wife.

It's not a new rule. I talked to the MP's about it. They destroy them after you leave post. They only do it in case they have to respond to a call at your house. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

I would have told him that you lost all your weapons when your boat sank...

Man, there sure have been a lot of boating accidents lately. :D

It's not a new rule. I talked to the MP's about it. They destroy them after you leave post. They only do it in case they have to respond to a call at your house. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

When I was at Carson I didn't have to register my weapons with post as long as I lived off base and didn't bring them on base.(2004-2005)

The rule changed here in Nov '08, I was deployed when it went into effect, and I just heard about 2 weeks ago.

Why would the MPs respond to anything at my home? I don't live on base or in off base military housing, its outside of thier jurisdiction. Isn't it? I was always under the assumption that the local PD had to deal with the situation and then latter turn it over to the MPs if they choose.

No boating accidents here, the CG has no authority over my wife!

When I was at Carson I didn't have to register my weapons with post as long as I lived off base and didn't bring them on base.(2004-2005)

The rule changed here in Nov '08, I was deployed when it went into effect, and I just heard about 2 weeks ago.

Why would the MPs respond to anything at my home? I don't live on base or in off base military housing, its outside of thier jurisdiction. Isn't it? I was always under the assumption that the local PD had to deal with the situation and then latter turn it over to the MPs if they choose.

No boating accidents here, the CG has no authority over my wife!

Yeah, I got to Carson on '05. It's one of those rules that was on the books that they just recently decided to enforce. And no, MP's boundary's don't stop at the gate. If local police decide to notify them of what's happening (like domestic violence) then they respond directly and have authority. There was a standoff recently with a soldier at his house who snapped and tried to take his wife hostage with his AR15. It ended with him killing himself sadly. Nevertheless, the MP's were there.

Nevertheless, the MP's were there.

Yea I know they can be called by the local police, basically an invite to the party, but they just can't roll outside the gate and start stopping people. They have to get permission first.

igotanxj said:
They only interviewed 1,023 people. That's nothing. That's like how many people live on my street. Why would CNN even post an atricle with stats based on that few of people.

They didn't get the answer they were looking for, so they stopped. Now all the nuts who want to ban weapons can say that the CNN survey doesn't represent the true feelings of the people because the numbers are so few.

Yea I know they can be called by the local police, basically an invite to the party, but they just can't roll outside the gate and start stopping people. They have to get permission first.

They didn't get the answer they were looking for, so they stopped. Now all the nuts who want to ban weapons can say that the CNN survey doesn't represent the true feelings of the people because the numbers are so few.

Guess you have never been in a Navy or USMC town, the shore patrol rule the roost.
HASP [Hawaiian Area Shore Patrol] is a classic example.

USAF hasn't reached that level of stupidity...yet....

Give us time, we're always trying to mock you Army types :D yet we do find unique ways to F*ck shit up in our own style....

Give us time, we're always trying to mock you Army types :D yet we do find unique ways to F*ck shit up in our own style....

Ok, random tangent here:

I've worked with AF forward observers (I don't remember their technical names, but thats what they get lumped in with in an infantry battalion) both in Iraq and again at JRTC. I was talking to them and man, they have some nice frikin equipment! Dude also said they go through a ridiculous amount of training. But does the AF cover them to pay for all that or did they get it on their own?

I know with the standard Army issue MOLLE kit, I hated that thing so I got a rack from tactical tailor and haven't been happier. Just wondering if it's the same kind of deal on the AF side of the fence or they get issued all that stuff.

Guess you have never been in a Navy or USMC town, the shore patrol rule the roost.
HASP [Hawaiian Area Shore Patrol] is a classic example.

No I never have, spent about a week at Pendelton and that was as close as I ever got to Navy or the USMC.

We send courtesy patrol out in Korea too, but again the MPs and CPs are invited by the local PD and business owners to do that.

The main point being, if I'm not living on base and I don't bring my guns on base, I'm not registering them.

I've seen some of you pretty boys walking around in those nice, HEAVY, tiger strip uniforms off base, SPs I think you guys call them. Oh I'm sorry those pretty grey boots to match your airplanes. :looser:

Ok, random tangent here:

I've worked with AF forward observers (I don't remember their technical names, but thats what they get lumped in with in an infantry battalion) both in Iraq and again at JRTC. I was talking to them and man, they have some nice frikin equipment! Dude also said they go through a ridiculous amount of training. But does the AF cover them to pay for all that or did they get it on their own?

I know with the standard Army issue MOLLE kit, I hated that thing so I got a rack from tactical tailor and haven't been happier. Just wondering if it's the same kind of deal on the AF side of the fence or they get issued all that stuff.

I think they are called TAC-Ps, its been awhile since I was a ground pounder. Yea those pretty boys get all sorts of nice stuff on the AF's dime. From my understanding it's a lot easier for those guys to get funding for equipment, that isn't issued. Kinda like our impact card, but less red tape.

I've seen some of you pretty boys walking around in those nice, HEAVY, tiger strip uniforms off base, SPs I think you guys call them. Oh I'm sorry those pretty grey boots to match your airplanes. :looser:

I saw those new camo's for the first time a couple of weeks ago down at Ft Dix, they look pretty good, don't know what possible use they are aboard ship, dungarees worked fine for the past 80 some odd years, cotton, then they went to synthetic which has a nice tendency to MELT AND BURN not to mention conduct electricity really well. Now it's camo's, pretty, guess they need to stay in 'style' LOL... The sebees and brown water sailors were the only ones who wore utils/camo/, usually they wore whatever the USMC was currently sporting.

I think he was talking about the newer Air Force ABU's, which I dislike. I do not own any, nor do I plan on owning any unless I absolutely have to. I have 3 sets of blues and 5 flight suits, plenty, even have two pair of BDU's.

and the new camoflage the navy is switching to makes me laugh.

Ok, random tangent here:

Believe you are talking about TACP/JTAC - Joint Terminal Attack Controllers - guys who call in airstrikes, ya?

They do go thru a lot of training, and it is all covered by the AF. Believe they go to a lot of your Army schools (like Airborne). It takes them almost 4 years to become "fully qualified". As for equipment, I know the AF covers damn near anything they want - since they're in the same category as PJs and Combat Controllers and considered Spec Ops. I know PJs and CCs get anything they want, especially now that our Chief of Staff was Spec Ops earlier in his career :D

I believe SF units in the Army operate the same way - I know when I was embedded with 7th SFG in Afghanistan, all we had to do was ask for something and we had it within 2-4 weeks. Seemed like we had an unlimited budget.

Ugh...don't get me started. All we had to do was take your uniforms (or better yet, the Marines) and do a different color pattern....but no, the AF had to take a great thing and dork it up like no other.

And those boots are GREEN :D

I still wear my desert tan ones though....

Our JTACs and other SF guys still wear your ACUs...I had a set the 2nd time I went to AFG, complete with funky AF name tapes :D but my favorite was my desert flight suit....hehe....

Thank God....we don't need more than 185 F-22s....

Yeah, those boots are green...they're dumb as shit, because they end up fading and turning WHITE after about 3 months...which is why I refuse to get them and stick with my desert boots....

We ARE in the desert here right? :D

Back