• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump

altrocker1

NAXJA Forum User
so i think everthing in my belt system decided to go haywire...i replaced the water pump a few months ago and now there is a very horrible sound coming from the front of the engine. upon examination, i noticed that the back of the power steering pump had fluid all over it and it was dripping a bit...so i'm pretty sure its done. it hasn't locked up yet, but i definitely don't want it to come to that.

heres the info:
98 XJ 4.0 with A/C....180,000 miles approx...2nd time i replaced the water pump

how tricky is this to do and what tools will i need? it looks pretty straight forward, but i've never done a power steering pump before so any advice would be helpful

Also...i'm sure its just coincidence that the water pump and powersteering pump both kicked the bucket within a month, but is there anything i should be concerned about

Yea make sure your belt isn't too tight.....that will cause such problems.
Depending on what kind of pump you get it may not come with pulley installed.In that case you will reuse your old pulley and you will need to rent a pulley puller(lol)from the local parts store.

Yea make sure your belt isn't too tight.....that will cause such problems.
Depending on what kind of pump you get it may not come with pulley installed.In that case you will reuse your old pulley and you will need to rent a pulley puller(lol)from the local parts store.

belt tension is good...i don't have a gauge, but i can twist the belt past 90 degrees and it feels a hair loose...only place close to here is autozone and it doesn't look like they come with a pulley

Some of the pumps have holes in the pulley to get at the attaching bolts. Others require removal of the pulley to get at those bolts. You do need the puller, and then I had to heat mine too, to get it to pop loose. Make sure you put in new little nylon washer thingies. I replaced my pressure hose too for good measure and flushed out the system. If it is clean, maybe the steering box will last longer.

Back