• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping pads

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

I'm in a dilemma. I'm going to be getting a nice canvas tent, and now have to decide on my bedding. My thoughts drifted to foam pads and air mattresses. Having used a mattress pad before and gotten only 1 use out of it, I've decided I don't want an air mattress.

For a foam pad, I can't find anything that is the size of a FULL (this is because I will more than likely be camping 95% of the time with my bunkmate
smile.gif
)

Questions:

1) What do you use for two people?
2) Do you think buying 2-3 inch thick dense foam and cutting to size would be a good option?
3) Should I just suck it up and buy another air mattress even though I think I'll only get 2-3 uses out of it?

what about cotts?? we have these big cotts we bought from Sam's Club. we have an 8 man tent and can squeeze 5 cotts tight and very little walking space.

i use a pad thats probably 3" maybe 4. there are three sections that it folds up into kinda like a compressed Z if you get what i mean.. you could get two of those?

1) What do you use for two people?
2) Do you think buying 2-3 inch thick dense foam and cutting to size would be a good option?
3) Should I just suck it up and buy another air mattress even though I think I'll only get 2-3 uses out of it?

1) 2 pads or one big air mattress
2) I wouldnt think so but you can try if you are on a budget.
3) 2-3 uses because it will prolly leak after that? or because you dont plan on camping much?

Ive been wanting to buy a couple of the nice REI foam pads. They are comfy and last much longer than most air mattresses. Cots are really good because it keeps you elevated off the ground....works well especially for those cold nights

I just say 2-3 uses because any air mattress I've encountered seems to never hold air past a max of 5 uses...as in I wake up on the ground and don't want to have to pump it up in the middle of the night.

I'll bet I could get two large cots...it would work for activities (I'd hope since they support up to 500 lbs) and then we'd have our space ;)

I sleep on a folding cot with a Thermarest self inflating pad......very comfy. Getting too old to be sleeping on the ground on those thin, hard ensolite pads. With me space is always a concern, I'd like to be able to bring the "kitchen sink" but, I'd have to find room for it in the vehicle!----------Hans

I got two packs of that interlocking floor covering from Costco and put it under the tent and then use an air mattress. Never had a problem with the air mattress and nice soft floor to crawl around on.

I've been using the same air mattress since 2005. It hasn't gone flat yet.

Stop buying the $29 one and buy the $50 one. The really good ones are 20 layers, and 19" tall like a normal bed.

I have a double wide thermorest that is 3" thick... I used it for one spring at a certain mountain and now it just sits in the garage.. But it was a ton better than any air mattress I have ever used.. Depending on when you need it You are welcome to borrow it and give it a try... I am back from Rica on saturday...

I have a double wide thermorest that is 3" thick... I used it for one spring at a certain mountain and now it just sits in the garage.. But it was a ton better than any air mattress I have ever used.. Depending on when you need it You are welcome to borrow it and give it a try... I am back from Rica on saturday...

Clean-RC: Does that fit two people on it? It seems most people are commenting on their own personal one, but they aren't for two...

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Cabela's camp beds/sleeping pads: I'm thinking of the large 4' pad OR two of the waffle pads stuck next to each other with velcro strips I glue to it to hold them together:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat601642&rid=

OR

a queen/full sized (I prefer full) air mattress from Coleman or other reputable company
Here are some options from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...bcategory&rid=

What do you guys think? I'm not going for the cheapest option, but I want something comfortable. To give you an idea, it's going to go inside of this:
3001cr-lg.jpg

outfitter-z.html

yanno what i've had a coleman queen size air matress for quite a while, and i think the big issue is either A. you air it up too hard and plop down on it and it springs a leak, or B. your floors not clean so it gets punctured, or C your just too rough on it lol, stop having drunken sex on an airmatress and you'll last longer...

shoot i'll even throw the queen sized mattress in the back of my xj and sleep 2 inside the cab =)

IMG_0386.jpg

Back