• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hey guys...

Phil Burch grew up around cars, is soft-spoken and drives a low-rider. Nick Karrol, on the other hand, didn't start tinkering with engines until middle school, is outgoing and prefers his Jeep jacked up. But, on April 12, the two car buddies from Benson High School will team up to take on the nation's best young mechanics at the National Auto Tech Competition in New York City.
"I'm looking to have a good time," said Burch of his first trip to the East Coast. "Nick and I are pretty crazy about cars and have a good idea how the other one thinks. So, I think we'll do OK."
Each year, the Metro Portland New Car Dealers Association sponsors a written and hands-on competition featuring dozens of future auto technicians from Oregon and southwest Washington who demonstrate their skills in engine and electrical work, tool identification, computer diagnosis, and troubleshooting. For the first time, the Benson team walked away with top honors.
"It was pretty challenging," said 17-year-old Karrol, who placed first in the written and brake bench exams. "I don't know what they're going to throw at us in New York, but we're studying pretty hard."
In a lottery among the contestants, they drew the highly engineered and complex 2009 C300 Mercedes-Benz sports sedan for their national exam. The $30,000 sleek machine features a six-speed transmission, 228 horse-powered diesel engine, and an electrical system that rivals a spacecraft.
Over the past weeks, the teens have spent up to 10 hours a day poring over manuals, studying stacks of work orders and practicing their skills under the tutorship of Carl Essl, assistant shop foreman with Mercedes-Benz of Portland.
"Normally our technicians spend at least two years mastering what these guys are expected to figure out in a month," he said. "You're looking at a heck of a learning curve."
Days when Burch and Karrol haven't been memorizing the schematics of the C300 or working their way through stacks of handbooks, they've stood shoulder to shoulder with Essl, who has been mentoring them with the help of the dealership's state-of-the-art computer monitor.
"I've got them working on some challenging, real life scenarios," Essl said. "These are complicated machines and really test their skills."
Winners in the national program will receive sets of tools, plaques and college scholarships.
Burch wants to work in his dad's shop when he finishes college and then open his own business. Karrol has his eye on Mt. Hood Community College's automotive program and then a career in the auto industry.

Congratulations again!!
Best of luck and enjoy yourself!!
I hope you get to see at least a few sites while on the East Coast.

and an electrical system that rivals a spacecraft.
Ummmmmm? maybe NOT! You got to love the media :jester:

Enjoy,
Michael

Usually the word in the Automotive repair industry is that there are no up and coming techs. It's great to hear about these two and that the whole program is getting recognition.

Once again good job and the best of luck to you man.
Nick outgoing no not at all.

Article says it's a diesel? Edmunds.com says it's a gas engine.

Thanks for all the luck wishing, guys. I feel pretty confident about this competition.

Yeah, he got that part way wrong.

C300 = 3.0 gas V6, 228 HP, 221 ft-lbs (2700-5000 rpm) - 7 spd auto for luxury, 6 spd manual for sport.

C350 = 3.5 gas v6, 268 hp, 258 ft-lbs (2400-5000 rpm) 7 spd auto

C63 AMG = 6.2 gas v8, 451 hp, 443 ft-lbs 7 spd auto

We're also getting Mercedes-benz of portland jackets and shirts from MBUSA with our names on them that we get to keep!:cool:

Last edited:
Back