• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap question

balizo

NAXJA Forum User
yes, this is definatly a newbie question; i'm more ford than a jeep guy, dont hate me yet. i have an 88 xj, 4.0 manual. i blew the engine. and now i need to replace the motor and transmission, but the transmission needs to be automatic (giving it to my 16 year old little sister)... could someone tell me what year donor rig i should be looking at for the easiest in-my-garage swap? and is there any tricks or tips i should consider?
jeep2.jpg
y

Last edited:
Why are you swapping the tranny too?

87-90 are all the Renix electrical system. 91-95 motors will swap in, but you'll probably need to stick with a 87-90 tranny for the TCU to function correctly.

TCU = Transmission Control Unit. It will be easiest if you have a compleat donor vehicle to work from, because you'll need the transmission, TCU, transmission wiring harness, and sundry other little goodies.

Also, if you currently have a manual (likely a damn Peugeot...) you'll need to change the TPS - since the auto version for 1987-1990 is actually two sensors in one case - one reports to the ECM for fuel metering, and the other reports to the TCU for shift point and load determination. All other RENIX sensors are the same - they're just for engine management.

I don't see a lot of reason why you could not use a later AW4 - but do get the transfer case with it, since the output spline count changed from 21 spline to 23 spline in 1989 or 1990 (I don't exactly recall,) and your early transfer case won't bolt up to a later transmission. The rest of the drivetrain is the same.

And, remove the Grille Opening Panel (not the grille itself - but the part that the grille and headlamp buckets bolt to) to get yourself more room to pull the engine. There's little enough (looking longwise) as it is...

5-90

Back