• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRANSMISSION SHIFT HANDLE

Year and transmission type?

If it's an auto put it in 1st get in back seat and give quick hard yank and it will just pop off.

If its a AX15, then you need to remove the outer boot, unbolt the inner boot from the hump plate, then carefully slide the boot over the large part of the shifter. Then remove the transmission boot and use your thumbs to push down on the silver retainer and twist it. The shifter will pull out of the tranny.

try not to punch yourself in the nose when it comes off---- don't ask.

all too true, I dont think your the first person that has happened to! :D

To the OP, like stated above, if it is an auto, just grab it and pull up on it really hard, it will pop off. If it doesn't, then you did not pull hard enough or cuss enough, not exactly in that order either :rolleyes:

I would have rather hit myself in the nose when I pulled mine first. I got the bright idea that I'd straddle the console and yank it off. Not a fun time when it decides to suddenly let go with no warning.

I tried to unscrew mine a while back, bad choice. It would spin freely on the end until I epoxied it in place. Haha.

Ahh this is why I love NAXJA. You can't read through a thread without laughing to yourself out loud like an idiot at everyones experience...

DO be careful yanking though. If you pull to one side or the other some of the little "teeth" might break off. A couple of mine did.

OK, old thread but I have a question since I am getting a floor pan job going. On a "96 XJ with auto transmission...when pulling on the shifter handle to get it off do I press in the button on the left side of the handle (as though I was about to shift gears), or not?

I've always done so, but I'm not sure if it's required. Just make sure you have it in 1-2 so you don't punch yourself in the face or crack the windshield.

edit: I see this has already been covered. Whoops. Also, the poor bastard who sack-tapped himself :roflmao:

Nope, you can yank it off without pressing the shift button.
Yank away!

Back