• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another chop/cage ??

gump

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have one for you guys. I'm kicking around back-halfing the XJ. What I'd like to do is leave it open in back, and add a ragtop for inclement conditions. My question is this: Instead of building a cage from scratch, could a guy invest in a D&C cage kit, then add regular sch. 40 pipe to that as a way to bridge the gaps between the roof and c-pillar sheetmetal and the cage so the body could be joined to the cage? That make any sense at all?

Last edited:
You could buy the D&C cage and use that as a base but i would highly recommend not using poop pipe.

Just get some 1.5 or 1.75" .120 wall HREW or DOM to finish up the additions to the cage.

Yeah, I know the poo pipe is not the ideal, but the whole reason I'll be going with the cage kit is that I have no access to a tubing bender. I do, however, have access to a pipe bender. I figured the safety aspect would be covered with the D&C cage, and the body-to-cage fillers would be more towards the asthetic side of things.

My 2 door after being rolled and the whole roof chopped and a D&C cage installed then new roof from another donor 2 door cutdown and installed.Built metal bulkhead from heavy sheetmetal and box tube.Then bought a new TJ Bestop windjammer.Herculined the whole thing in and out.
IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

See, now that's just friggin awesome! The only thing for me is retaining the rear seat. My two older boys are actually starting to like wheeling with dad, don't wanna give that up. So I was thinkin leave the B pillar in place, and leave the structure around the doors. Basicly cut the sheetmetal overhead up to the windshield, and then from the b pillar back take it down to the bottom of the quarter window openings. Install the D&C cage, fill the gaps between the cage and the body around the door openings and the top of the windshield, and run a ragtop over the whole works. I dunno, I just keep staring at that sawzall and twiching. XJAY1999, is that how the rear bars come down on the D&C kit or did you modify them?

See, now that's just friggin awesome! The only thing for me is retaining the rear seat. My two older boys are actually starting to like wheeling with dad, don't wanna give that up. So I was thinkin leave the B pillar in place, and leave the structure around the doors. Basicly cut the sheetmetal overhead up to the windshield, and then from the b pillar back take it down to the bottom of the quarter window openings. Install the D&C cage, fill the gaps between the cage and the body around the door openings and the top of the windshield, and run a ragtop over the whole works. I dunno, I just keep staring at that sawzall and twiching. XJAY1999, is that how the rear bars come down on the D&C kit or did you modify them?

Modded so I could tie them in to the unibody framerail.They are supposed to go to the backend parralel the roof and turndown 90 to the floor.

Back