• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard start, lopey idle

xj2win

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to figure this out for a few weeks.
Specs:
92 XJ, remanufactured 4.0 with about 10k since install
CKS and ignition coil replaced with engine installed.
New cap, rotor, wires, battery cables installed within last 5k

Within last hundred miles: Intake/exhaust gasket, throttle body gasket, plugs, and all vac. lines replaced. All grounds and starter contacts cleaned.

I initially thought I had a vacuum leak because on long trips the jeep starts being unable to accelerate and there was a slight whistling noise when throttle was applied. I replaced all the vacuum lines and put new plugs in it, inspected and cleaned the cap and rotor, and put new gaskets on the throttle body and manifolds.

When driving short distances in town, which is 95% of the time, I have good throttle response and no problems. No noticeable unusual engine noise from vac. leaks, but very hard to diagnose if one may still exist since it was only leaking under load and above 2500 rpm before.

However, I have to crank for at least 5 seconds on a cold start before the engine will catch, and it doesn't matter if I leave the key in the on position before turning it over to prime the fuel pump, it takes the same amount of time. If I start the car hot again within five minutes or so it catches immediately. If it sits longer than that I have to crank it for usually about ten seconds, and the idle is very lopey when it starts up until I start giving it throttle.

My speculation is that one of the sensors may be fouled and the air/fuel ratio is being too rich, which would explain the lopey idle, but could that also make it hard to start?

I haven't taken it on a trip of more than twenty minutes since the vac. leak problem on the interstate because I feared it may have been leaning out the fuel ratio too much and didn't want to cause engine damage.

All the wiring looks good, I cleaned the IAC and TPS sensor areas on the throttle body when I was replacing the vacuum lines. There are no CEL's, but I have never seen one on this jeep so I'm not certain that the check engine light even works. Is my best bet to grab my repair manual and start checking the sensors with a multimeter? Or any other thoughts on what would cause it to behave like this?

Hard to start when cold is a symptom of bad temp sensor. Computer doesn't know to enrichen the mixture until warm. Like a choke on a carburetor. Your's should have two, one for the gage and one for the computer. Not sure which is which or if they are interchangable for diagnostics. You can check them with an ohmeter (multimeter). Best to search for values if you don't have FSM.

Well unfortunately I decided to test the schroder valve for fuel pressure with the key in the on position and.... nothing. Guess I'll have a look at the filter and pump. Seems suspicious that it can't build pressure in the on position but is fine once it gets running.

Back