• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrade??

well I dont know a guy that I know (99ncxj) has this steering setup and he said it works good for him. I was thinking along the lines of something that I wouldnt have to replace main parts (like a drag link or tie rod ect. ect.) Can I do this with the ZJ setup??

don't bother, upgrade the stock tie rod or do ZJ steering if you are on a budget.

The rugged ridge has a nasty dead spot and the joints wear out fast. They bend suprisingly easy too.

i did the V8 ZJ tie rod and love it. true, it isnt the beefiest out there, but its way better than stock. the drag link is the same as ours, but the tie rod is solid stock and the TREs are larger at the threads but still fit in place of our old ones.

zj tre are solid one inch bars most xj tre are sheet metal adjuster sleeves.

close, one is a regular (threaded + adjuster sleeve) TRE and the other is the remainder of the tie rod with the TRE portion built in. its still way better than our stock dinkey hollow tube tr.

don't bother, upgrade the stock tie rod or do ZJ steering if you are on a budget.

The rugged ridge has a nasty dead spot and the joints wear out fast. They bend suprisingly easy too.
agree on the dead spot, cant say it wears any quicker than stock, hasnt been a year yet, and as for the bending, none to speak of. I have (unintentionally) suspended the front of my xj on it, and have a lot of rock rash on it and its still straight!

the reason Im looking to upgrade is because my draglink is SHOT lol and thought this would be a good plateform for hydro down the line

Try Currie's steering setup. Just installed it on my XJ and it's way more beefy than the stock setup, but keeps the same geometry.

i found a wrecked grand cherokee at upull and got the whole set up off of it. the dust caps were shot so i ordered engery suspension dust caps. pait like $12 for all four dust covers. the tre are nice and tight. paid $60 for my whole set up from upull.

mine was shot too. it had a crazy death wobble at 60mph.

i read on here about the zj set up and was lookin to buy all new stuff but it was like 160 bux with my discount at advance auto. so i figured it get those from upull and replace them as i go.

just a idea tho.

Last edited:
x2 for JCR

X3 on the JCR. I am running the 1-ton UTK set up and it is pure beef. I am starting to develop the dreaded deadspot, but a new spacer will correct it easy enough. I have wheeled the bag off of it and it is just as true as the day I put it on. Been suspended many times with it on rocks and it has never failed me yet.

My old DD had the Rugged Ridge set up and it was alright I quess, but I did not wheel that rig so I can not say I put any real test to it. As far as the street queen it was, it performed fine for that.

I have the JCR 1-ton UTK kit. I would go with Currie if I could do it again. The JCR is really stout but on a 97+ XJ it requires you to lessen your steering radius because the tie rod will hit a bolt on the axle. The Currie is just as stout and doesn't affect your steering radius.

I have the JCR 1-ton UTK kit. I would go with Currie if I could do it again. The JCR is really stout but on a 97+ XJ it requires you to lessen your steering radius because the tie rod will hit a bolt on the axle. The Currie is just as stout and doesn't affect your steering radius.

what bolt?
how does it differ from '96 earlier?

I had the RR setup as well. In fact i sold mine to 99ncxj :) Good guy! As far as with my experience with the setup, I didn't like it at all. I could never get my steering wheel straight and there was so much roll in the tie rod that after a left turn, my wheel would still be tilted towards the left even though i was going straight, the only way to straighten it back up was to cut it to the right kinda quick and then steer straight. I got the big daddy tie rod from 99ncxj and I love it! feel like stock and getting ready to throw a tie rod flip on it to get it up out of the way. But if i had $400 that i was going to burn, id buy the currie setup.

Try Currie's steering setup. Just installed it on my XJ and it's way more beefy than the stock setup, but keeps the same geometry.

X2 on the Currie. What I like is I DD mine and the steering is stronger and has none of the "deadspot" that others talk about. No modification either, just bolt it on and go.

gonna revive the thread, hopefully it gets some action.

So if i were to go with a Currie UTK setup or JCR UTK setup, what would it take to go OTK in the future?? also, if i were to break one of these tie rods on the trail, would the currie or JCR TRE"s be compatible with any other tie rods??

i have a bent tie rod right now and need to replace it. Im only on 3.5 and 31's. but plan to go 33's and someday 35's. So i would like to do it right the first time. It is also a DD. THANKS

Back