• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaping in a 8.25 for my d35

1988cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so soon i am going to be going to the junkyard and getting a chrysler 8.25 to swap in for my old dana 35. my question is will the chrysler 8.25 just swap right in with out any modification? also will my original drive shaft and everything work? and will any 8.25 work for this swap or is it only certan years?

and my jeep is a 1988 cherokee with 4.0, auto, and a np242 if any of that matters

thanks a lot
mike

Any Cherokee 8.25 swaps right in no mod. They put them under Dakotas also, but those don't work. The D-35 driveshaft fits, but is about an inch short. This means any lift and you have to change it. Your best bet is to nab the DS from the axle doner.

Edit: that assumes the transmissions are the same between the 2 vehicles. A standard trans is shorter then the auto, and won't fit.

did the same thing in my 2000. Auto 242 driveshaft went in fine with a RE 3.5" lift. While its out throw some disc brakes on it and enjoy some peace of mind

I did the same on my 89'. Do not forget that you will need new u-bolts. They are bigger on the 8.25 than they are on the D35. I used my D34 d-shaft but i had a sye and new shaft on order already.

i swapped out my old 35 for an 8.25 out of an 01 xj a few years ago. i ran it with the same drive shaft that my xj had with the 35. from what i have heard, the d35 drive shaft is longer than that from a rig with an 8.25. i ran it like that for 2 years before i put in an SYE and front drive shaft. with the longer d/s, i had more spline engagement on the tc. it was enough for me with 4.5" lift.

an xj 8.25 would be bolt into an xj with no mods. do some research on the axle though. there were two versions- a 27 spline axleshaft and a 29 spline axleshaft. the housings are the same and the only true way to tell is to pull the shafts and count.

what about the d44?will it bolt right up too?and is the 8.25 realy that much stonger than the d35?

an xj D44 will bolt right up to an xj. a mj D44 can be put into an xj but is not bolt in- it requires new spring perches and shock mounts to be welded on. a zj D44A is not anywhere close to bolt in, the diff is made of aluminium, the shafts are different than other 44s, there is little to no aftermarket support....

good luck finding a xj or mj D44 in the junkyards. i have been searching my local junkyards off and on for 2 years and i have only seen 1 mj d44.

EDIT: yes, the 8.25 is stronger than a d35. the weak points on a d35 are the weak axleshafts, weak carrier, weak spider gears, weak diff housing, weak axle tubes... even the 27 spline 8.25 has stronger shafts, gears, carrier, housing and diff. the 29 spline 8.25 is said to be comperable in strength to a D44.

Last edited:
an xj D44 will bolt right up to an xj. a mj D44 can be put into an xj but is not bolt in- it requires new spring perches and shock mounts to be welded on. a zj D44A is not anywhere close to bolt in, the diff is made of aluminium, the shafts are different than other 44s, there is little to no aftermarket support....

good luck finding a xj or mj D44 in the junkyards. i have been searching my local junkyards off and on for 2 years and i have only seen 1 mj d44.

EDIT: yes, the 8.25 is stronger than a d35. the weak points on a d35 are the weak axleshafts, weak carrier, weak spider gears, weak diff housing, weak axle tubes... even the 27 spline 8.25 has stronger shafts, gears, carrier, housing and diff. the 29 spline 8.25 is said to be comperable in strength to a D44.
ok thanks a lot so it looks like the best option for the 8.25 would be a 29 spline, the 29 splines where used from 97-01 right?

Just wondering if you have given any thought to a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer/Mountaineer?

Takes a little work, but there are kits for the spring perches and shock mounts.

Might even score one with disc brakes and a limited slip.

Just wondering if you have given any thought to a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer/Mountaineer?

Takes a little work, but there are kits for the spring perches and shock mounts.

Might even score one with disc brakes and a limited slip.

yeah i thought about it and i dont weld or anything yet so im just looking for a bolt on solution

yep. thats one that i used. once you get the holes opened up a bit (i could make it sound so dirty if i wanted to) and the backing plate on, then its no harder thand doing a brake job on the front. super easy. i ended up kicking myself for not doing this mod sooner

You need the rear disc brake assembly off a ZJ. Most of those were a D35. You ream out the center of the backing plate some and it bolts on. I'd suggest cutting about 2 ft of emergency brake cable also. Be sure to get the JY calipers to use as cores for the new ones. I lucked out on the rotor's I only had to turn them.

Back