• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-man. engine install XJ97

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi
I'm to start installing a new purchased re-manufactured 4,0 L engine for my XJ 97 Sport. (Manual transmission).....in a few weeks
Most external parts from old engine will be transferred.

Have done some research and "google" up an down for building up my knowledge before jumping in to it.

But ...do I need to be on the safe side and buy new fuel injectors?...the existing engine runs ok today and fuel consuption is not bad, trottle responce as well.

If anyone have a link to a nice write up for engine replacement,that would be appreciated.

I would run them if the previous engine didn't have a fuel issue while running them.

Yepp...what I wanted to hear. Had a tune up of the old engine last summer and planning to transfer these items as well. Thanx

Replacing the Tranny as well, shifting bad today on 2'nd and noicy on 5'th. Looking forward to jumping arround in refurbished drivtrain. Took a complete overhaul of the front steering / suspension last week and got them ball joints replaced once for all. What a fight, glad it's over.

Anymore tip of what I shall bevare of before my engine scope gets started?.
(I'm located in Scandinavia, so a early warning would save me som time as all parts I've been purchased comes direct from supplier in US)

Check friction plate for wear before reusing.

Have got the bearing but flywheel was out of my mind. Almost 200 000 miles on that so maybe a good idea. Have in addition purchased all engine and transf. mounting, harm balancer, serp. tensioner wheel. and all sealings +

New water pump and all coolent tubes are located in my garage as well

One thing....I do not have to take out the radiator for lifting out the engine , right ?

Flywheels don't wear out if they are not overheated. Check for blue or small cracks. If any, replace. Otherwise you are good with old. Friction plate and pressure plate can wear out though and should be replaced if you have 200k miles. Flywheel needs to be roughed up with sandpaper just like rotors for new brake pads.

Back