• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Water Leak

mrogers

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Noticed a nasty water leak on my jeep. it comming out on the drivers side (your drivers, my passenger) of the engine just above the lambda sensor. its dripping onto the sensor and the exhaust. any idea where this would be from?

Hallo. The only cooling hoses above the O2 sensor ,I do see on a right driven car like yours, are the smaller hoses from the heater. Maybe it is possible to block them. better to renew, but is the heater itself not leaking?

If it's the valve, you can just put in copper tubing. Newer models have no valve and the hot coolant circulates all the time. No problem. It may even help prevent heater core clogging.

I haven't looked at a rhd setup to see what's different, but I guess if the steering and clutch linkage is moved to the right side, then the heater core and hoses would be moved to the left.

Last edited:
Most of the freeze plugs are about 1 1/2" dia. They are made of sheet metal. They can be punched out and replaced with new. I believe there are rubber type expandable replacements, but don't know the reliability of those. In either case though, access is often the problem.

looking a bit closer, it seems its leaking water from the sump gasket, but this makes no sense to me. oil was changed last week andthe old oil from the sump showed no signs of water contamination.

I would guess that the leak is farther up on the engine and it's running down to the sump (oil pan) gasket and collecting there. Pull your dipstick and examine the oil for any water and if that's inconclusive, drain the oil paying close attention to the first bit that comes out (oil is lighter than water so the water will be the first to come out)

Water must be comming from higher up but I just cant see where. Needs further investigation with some mirrors :) I have changed the oil and no water in it, plus the gasket is at the top of the sump so i guess the water cant be from the sump.

I think one of these blighters could be the culprit?
Sensor_Coolant_For_ECU.jpg

Back