• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily Driver/Weekend Wheeler 3" lift spring options

FrankH

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, relatively new member here,

I've been slowly gathering parts for a 3" lift on my '98 XJ Classic for some time now, but have yet to decide on a set of springs.

Here are the parts I already have purchased:

31" BFG A/Ts
JKS sway bar disconnects
RE hack and tap SYE
XJ front drive shaft (to use in the rear)

And I am having a local member build me a set of LCAs w/a flex joint on one end and a factory style bushing on the other.

Most of these have been purchased used or from other members to save money, as I'm on a college student's budget, but want to use the best parts possible.

As for shocks, I've run generic white twin tubes on a previous rig and was less than impressed, so I will purchase OME Nitrochargers, Bilsteins, or if money permits, 2.0 FOA emulsions just as soon a i get the springs.

Now, back to the springs.

My main goals are to retain or improve upon factory ride quality, while providing enough lift to clear 31" tires with only minor bumper end cap trimming. Through my research I've found that to do this I will need good shocks as well as a relatively soft spring rates.

Rear: Leaf springs

I've been mostly looking at OME springs, since they seem to be the only ones in this height range that have the level of quality and spring rates I'm looking for. However, most don't provide 3" of lift. From what I've seen, most people get 2-2.5" inches. I don't normally carry much of a load since its my DD, but I don't want it to sag horribly when it is loaded with camping/wheeling gear. Here is the spring rate info for OME leafs:

CS034RA (OMEJC1A) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 230mm free height
CS034RB (OMEJC1B) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 205mm free height
CS035RA (OMEJC2A) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 235mm free height
CS035RB (OMEJC2B) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 210mm free height

According to ARB, one "A" spring should be used and one "B" spring should be used to account for the constant weight of the driver.

From what I've read, a lot of people remove the overload leaf in the CS035RA/B packs. Am I right in thinking this will provide a 2.5" lift and a 137 lbs/in spring rate? or would the CS034RA be better for my application? In both cases I will probably eventually add an MJ shackle to get 3"

Front: Coils

There are really only three coil sets on my radar screen, OME930, OME934 and Rusty's 3" coils.

OME 930:
160 lbs/in and avg. lift height of 1.75" (1.25" spacer required for 3")
$149 per pair before shipping

OME 934:
180 lbs/in and avg lift height of 2.5" (.5" spacer required)

Rusty's 3":
Available in 150 or 180 lbs/in spring rates and net 3" of lift
$99 before shipping

The 150 lbs/in Rustys seem to be my best bet, since an extra spacer (more $$) wont be required, as well as them being cheaper. But I've heard bad things about Rusty's products, however most Rusty's bashing doesn't involve their springs. But I have heard on one occasion of a guy who actually experimentally measured the rate of a Rusty's coil and found it to be very off. (this was a 8" lift spring however)

This is all just a lot of web wheeling though,

I guess I would just like to know, given all these options, what those of you with more experience than me would recommend for as close to 3" of lift as possible using quality parts that will maintain a good ride quality.

Sorry for the long post...

Seems you have done your homework,with the exception of doing something with your trac bar. you also need to do something about your shackle angle on your leaf pack, so it rides and flexes well.

Hi there, relatively new member here,

I've been slowly gathering parts for a 3" lift on my '98 XJ Classic for some time now, but have yet to decide on a set of springs.

Here are the parts I already have purchased:

31" BFG A/Ts
JKS sway bar disconnects
RE hack and tap SYE
XJ front drive shaft (to use in the rear)

And I am having a local member build me a set of LCAs w/a flex joint on one end and a factory style bushing on the other.

Most of these have been purchased used or from other members to save money, as I'm on a college student's budget, but want to use the best parts possible.

As for shocks, I've run generic white twin tubes on a previous rig and was less than impressed, so I will purchase OME Nitrochargers, Bilsteins, or if money permits, 2.0 FOA emulsions just as soon a i get the springs.

Now, back to the springs.

My main goals are to retain or improve upon factory ride quality, while providing enough lift to clear 31" tires with only minor bumper end cap trimming. Through my research I've found that to do this I will need good shocks as well as a relatively soft spring rates.

Rear: Leaf springs

I've been mostly looking at OME springs, since they seem to be the only ones in this height range that have the level of quality and spring rates I'm looking for. However, most don't provide 3" of lift. From what I've seen, most people get 2-2.5" inches. I don't normally carry much of a load since its my DD, but I don't want it to sag horribly when it is loaded with camping/wheeling gear. Here is the spring rate info for OME leafs:

CS034RA (OMEJC1A) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 230mm free height
CS034RB (OMEJC1B) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 205mm free height
CS035RA (OMEJC2A) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 235mm free height
CS035RB (OMEJC2B) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 210mm free height

According to ARB, one "A" spring should be used and one "B" spring should be used to account for the constant weight of the driver.

From what I've read, a lot of people remove the overload leaf in the CS035RA/B packs. Am I right in thinking this will provide a 2.5" lift and a 137 lbs/in spring rate? or would the CS034RA be better for my application? In both cases I will probably eventually add an MJ shackle to get 3"

Front: Coils

There are really only three coil sets on my radar screen, OME930, OME934 and Rusty's 3" coils.

OME 930:
160 lbs/in and avg. lift height of 1.75" (1.25" spacer required for 3")

OME 934:
180 lbs/in and avg lift height of 2.5" (.5" spacer required)

Rusty's 3":
Available in 150 or 180 lbs/in spring rates and net 3" of lift
$99 before shipping

The 150 lbs/in Rustys seem to be my best bet, since an extra spacer (more $$) wont be required, as well as them being cheaper. But I've heard bad things about Rusty's products, however most Rusty's bashing doesn't involve their springs. But I have heard on one occasion of a guy who actually experimentally measured the rate of a Rusty's coil and found it to be very off. (this was a 8" lift spring however)

This is all just a lot of web wheeling though,

I guess I would just like to know, given all these options, what those of you with more experience than me would recommend for as close to 3" of lift as possible using quality parts that will maintain a good ride quality.

Sorry for the long post...

Awesome. I bought a pair of OME 934's off of a guy in the SEC and was looking for that info. Since i have only a 2.5 AAL and nothing up front they will be going in shortly! :guitar:

Back