• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Leak Help!

smalls2010

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj with 130k miles that I have had for 2 months. I started running synthetic oil in it, and now I have had two oil filters begin to leak badly. My oil pressure gauge doesn't work, could I have too high of pressure causing this? Am I putting the oil filters on too loose or too tight? I have made sure that the old seals come out, so I know that I am not running the old seal. Is my bracket warped?

You may need to get new O-rings for your OFA

this may sound a little silly but when you take the old filter off, make sure there is not an old seal still stuck on the motor from an earlier oil change. sometimes the old seal will come off the filter and stay on that housing on the motor or whatever you want to call it. Other than that I always prefill the filters as much as I can and then i stick my finger in the oil in the filter and run it around the rubber o ring seal to help make sure it seals nice on the motor. I usually go a little less than as much I can by hand. really just nice and snug, no need to put a filter wrench on it or anything to tighten it up. You probaly could smash the o ring to much and cause it to leak from over tightening.

Edit: sorry I didnt catch that you said you checked for the old seal. my bad.

If your "OFA" is leaking it will drain down the filter.... Its probably a bad o-ring.

make sure that the reason your oil pressure gauge doesn't work isn't a bad sending unit-- it can fail and leak right next to the filter as well. two birds with one stone?

Clean the area with brake cleaner, get a really bright light and an inspection mirror, then run the engine and locate the leak.

My guess would be you have it double sealed. Make sure the old O-ring from the previous oil filter didn't get stuck. As far as your oil gauge not working it's probably the sending unit. Without fail if I don't take mine out before replacing the filter I always end up breaking it.

Back