• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what went wrong

rookies

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a dana 44 rear axle that came out of a 87 lorado in to my 87 pioneer. Now my rear drive line is to long. I have a 3 inch lift and in the rear they use blocks. I know that they are on there locating pins. I also put some newer leaf spings in out of a 88 but did not see anything different there other than they where not as sagging as mine where. What went wrong?

the pinion on the D44 is longer than the pinion on the D35

Sorry no pictures at this time. So how much do i need to shorten my drive line? or is there any other solution?

use a front driveline. better for the angles with the dbl carden joint and a tad shorter also. great time for a SYE also . . .

what he said.

but are you stick or auto?

My rig is a 5 speed. not shure on what transfer case I have. My front axle was a disconect chaged it out when i did the rear end to a non disconect now.

My rig is a 5 speed. not shure on what transfer case I have. My front axle was a disconect chaged it out when i did the rear end to a non disconect now.

get a ds from an auto they are shorter.

Does he have an SYE though?

IF he doesnt, you'll have to take a tape measure with you to the JY and find a shaft from an XJ or a ZJ that will work.

You have a 231, the only TC that came in the 5spd XJ.

I was assuming not sye in which case a DS from an auto it perfect, thats what I did.

Sorry i should have been clearer my jeep is a 87xj np231 transfer case with a 5 speed that originaly had a D35 for a rear end I got a D44 out of a 87xj lorado that was a automatic I was going to grab the drive line when I pulled the rear end just in case but they bent it with the fork from the loader that put the car in the u-pull it yard. I dont have a SYE.
I was just bumbed out. I worked on it all last night to get the axles swapped out. I had gone though the brakes installed a lockrite in the rear axle and replaced the u-joint in the front axle with new brake also and was ready to try it all out to day. I had to go get some aggression out anyway so i took the quad to the hills today. I'll find a drive shaft maybe tomarrow. Thanks again for the help.

Back