• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultimate 4.0

thethinginthewoods

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to design the ultimate Jeep "4.0" Let's say money wasn't an issue (I wish!), what would be the best part combinations from different years and models of Jeeps to build it with? I want a 4.6 stroker kit, blower, and performance parts. I am curious if you can do all this with a newer cylinder head with the coil on plug setup. I want the coil on plug for performance and reliability, but I'm not sure if doing a mod like this will goof up the computer and or sensors. What years are the best for certain parts? Can you modify an older cylinder head to fit the coil on plug to eliminate the cracking head problem on the '00 and '01 Cherry Keys? Will the newer Wrangler 4.0 heads with the coil on plug fit a Cherokee 4.0 block and do they have the same cracking issues?

Any info would be great! Thanks.

:repair:

4.6 stroker High compression supercharged..

with a gold plated valve cover..

After John Regeared my Jeep. Can't see any reason to modify other than improving the Air flow.
What gears did you go with? I have a couple axles in the garage and trying to decide what gearing I want to go with was thinking 4.88 but not for sure yet.

I like all the responses, ha ha! I guess what I am really trying to figure out is when I buy my next XJ, I want to build an expedition vehicle out of it. My main goal is to build something extremely reliable, something easy to find parts for and extremely durable/capable/rugged. There is also obviously a HUGE aftermarket support for them too. I know there might be better rigs out there to build, but I like the XJ and that's what I want to build.

I want a 2000 or 2001 for newer features, design, and the coil on plug setup. I want to keep the 4.0, but build it up a little so I will have a reasonable amount of power to haul all my parts and gear including a chaser trailer to wherever I want to go. Fuel mileage isn't my biggest concern (I say that now! :D ), but I am trying to figure out If there is a way to add the coil on plug setup to a more reliable cylinder head from an earlier year Cherokee or a newer Wrangler that doesn't seem to have that head cracking issue. Another reason i want an '00 or '01 is for the NV3550 manual tranny.

You gana give me your old pile?
:)

~Scott

You gana give me your old pile?
:)

~Scott

Ha ha, not a chance bromeister! I'm most likely going to keep it and beef it up for more heavy duty trail running. I want to put non c-clip axles (probably 44's) front and rear on, a newer high output 4.0 in, an exo cage, lots of armor and protection, ARB's etc.

But you never know... ;)

good power/reliability.. LSx engine. or a LQ4/9 truck engine with an LS intake swap.

Expedition vehicles are built with reliability in mind. Can you tell me any expedition vehicles that have a blower (or a turbo for that mater)? I am not aware of any.

As has been stated over and over and over above, the 4.0 left alone is an excellent engine.

I know nothing of the "coil on plug" 4.0's (to be honest I never knew they existed). But I doubt they get any better mileage and I can't imagine why they would be more reliable.

Why not put in a perfectly good low mileage 4.0 and gear it appropriately, maybe an Atlas 3 speed?

If you are going to build a stroker you should search the tech forums for stroker builds, there are plenty of receipies to do with particular blocks, heads, intakes etc.

Michael

i have a 2000 with 111K on it and my heads so far so good, it must be those wacky drivers that like to see it bounce off the rev limiter :dunno:

and i dunno about much for performance or mileage, my hp is "RATED" at 190 and 225 torque, and i adverage about 15-17 in it, but i just tried mid grade the last couple days on a trip so i'll see if it helps, i plan to just do a few simple bolts on take care of it and leave it alone, pray it out lives my civic.

Why not put in a perfectly good low mileage 4.0 and gear it appropriately, maybe an Atlas 3 speed?

Because there is no atlas 3 speed :D

STaK makes a 2 and a 3 speed, Atlas makes a 2 and a 4 speed.

IF you goal is an expedition rig I would leave it a stock as possible. Any modifications you make would require you to keep a spare for that mod. You can't keep spares of everything so there's a good chance you will have to stop for repairs at some point. If you leave it stock you increase the chances of the closest parts store having the replacement part you need.

Back