• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for feedback on Rusty's adjustable LCA w/ forged flex ends

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Was looking for some feedback from others that may have this control arm. Planning on getting them myself but wanted to get your input. Was able to locate a used set for a decent price.

I only plan on wheeling about once a month, maybe once every 2 month. I'm in south florida and have never gone out myself but from the videos I've seen, lots of mud and maybe some rough areas. Planning on a 4.5" lift with 33" tires...

Your thoughts.....

NO...Search for any Rusty's products....they are crap, while some may swear by them, they are the only company I know of to have that many failures or problems.

The lca's would work fine for you.
The problem w/ rusty's is he rapes you on shipping, so watch out.

yeah, its rediculous - I got a ruff stuff diff cover(3/8"thick for my 8.8) and the whole 8.8 install kit shipped from cali to PA for $10 and that fool rusty wants $28 for 2 coil springs from alabama to PA - its absurd!

yeah, its rediculous - I got a ruff stuff diff cover(3/8"thick for my 8.8) and the whole 8.8 install kit shipped from cali to PA for $10 and that fool rusty wants $28 for 2 coil springs from alabama to PA - its absurd!

And you don't think the size of the coil springs had anything to do with that cost?

And you don't think the size of the coil springs had anything to do with that cost?

I work at a place that ships VIA ups daily and to ship from us to rustys (I figured it out on the UPS program) with a package even heavier and a little bigger than what the coils would be was only $14 - thats HALF the price - and I hear that his shipping calculator is off - well, when you're in the e-commerce business you should CORRECT it or else lose alot of business

rusty's is once again a vendor on here... so contact him if you feel like you're not getting enough info. i'm sure he'd be more than willing to take some time and explain his product.

i will say i've only ever seen a few instances of any form of control arm (other than stock) bending on the trail. that being said, usually other, more important things got damaged at the same time. pretty much whatever form of control arm you get is going to be much more durable than stock. the only thing that might be of concern is the longevity of the flex joints. i haven't heard anything (good or bad) about his flex joints. if they go bad you could always get jimmy joints :scottm:

http://www.summitmachine.com/index.php?p=customParts&cp=jj

The OP said he found some locally that are used. WGAF about rusty's shipping practices?

On subject, I've got rustys on my rig because I bought it with it already installed. I've got the fixed uppers and lowers and they're fine.

Here is my proof http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=989997&highlight=rustys and yet he had good feed back and customer service from rustys..this isn't the only problem...you never see this kind of thing with any of the other manufatures...just goes to show...his newer stuff may be better about quality but the op said that they were used
Several years ago when I decided to raise the jeep, I was looking for a deal on some adjustable control arms. I found a steal on Ebay. They were Rusty's Offroad CA's Uppers and Lowers, both adjustable. The price was right so I snagged them. I've ran them up until recently without any trouble. When I did have trouble, here's what I found:

100_5984.jpg

100_5988.jpg

No good.

I was asked if I'd contaced Rusty's. No, I hadn't, I didn't even buy them from him. In my opinion he has no obligation to me at all.
I work at a headlamp factory (OEM stuff) and I kinda enjoy seeing how our products hold up in the field. I thought Rusty may apperciate the same. So, I sent him (Rusty) an email with pictures. I explained that I purchased the CA's off of eBay, that they were new in the original packaging and that I was the first to install them. I told him how long I've ran them and it was on my DD that was wheeled whenever I could afford it. I further explained that I like to see how the products that leave my factory hold up in the field and thought that he may apperciate the same information. I stated that I wasn't sending the email to bitch, moan or complain......just information that I thought he may find useful.

The next morning, my phone rang. It was Rusty. He said that my arms were pretty old and several designs ago. He offered to repair the arms and if I would send him the arms, he would replace the frame end with their new forged flex joints.....AT NO CHARGE TO ME! All I needed to do was get the arms to him. I sent them to Rusty on the 19th and I recieved my freshly repaired arms today. That's really a pretty quick turn around.

I know Rusty gets alot of bad press here on NAXJA sometimes. I just wanted to share this story for others to see he's not all bad. I just talked to the man himslef and he took great care of me, and I apperciate it. He could have not responed to me at all and put it in file 13 but, he didn't. I didn't even buy the arms from him! However, I have bought several other things in the past from him. This is the first time I've ever had any trouble with his products. So, if you have issues, be civil, and provide the facts, and he'll treat you right.....at least he did me. If you do have trouble with something, ask to speak to the man himself.

Please don't turn this into your own personal rant, that's not my intent. I just wanted to share my dealings with Rusty. Being as I see alot of negative threads on Rusty's I thought it was time he got some positive press.

One of the freshly repaired arms:

100_6037.jpg

Hale

For something you only wheel once a month I would get the joints with the rubber bushings they will last way longer on a dd. Rusty's sells them for $39 a piece.

For something you only wheel once a month I would get the joints with the rubber bushings they will last way longer on a dd. Rusty's sells them for $39 a piece.

Plus he will be wheeling in mud. Will the flex joints sel out water and mud?

I have Rusty's fixed lowers with rubber both ends for 3+ years. No problem with them. I would buy them again without thinking a second time.

Lot's of feedback, this is great...

It's not local but was able to find a slightly used set for $130. Was wondering if this would make a good buy?

In the meantime, I'll continue searching...

Thanks...

Additional input welcome....

Here is my proof http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=989997&highlight=rustys and yet he had good feed back and customer service from rustys..this isn't the only problem...you never see this kind of thing with any of the other manufatures...just goes to show...his newer stuff may be better about quality but the op said that they were used

Yeah but Rusty repaired them with an updated design FOR FREE. Hale wheels that thing as much as possible and drove that a couple hundred miles home like that! Who cares if they break if the guy stands behind his work for someone who bought used control arms on Ebay! I see this rusty's bashing everyday and wonder why. I have a rusty's t-case skid and the quality of that seems good and it is quite beefy. I think that most of the bashing has to do with track bars and TRE's. Give the guy a chance he is trying to get rid of his bad rap!hastahastahastahasta

i run his older adj. lower style with the rubber bushing, i run this in my trail rig only jeep. i just make sure it stays properly greased! other than that, it is just scrapped up!

Plus he will be wheeling in mud. Will the flex joints sel out water and mud?

I have Rusty's fixed lowers with rubber both ends for 3+ years. No problem with them. I would buy them again without thinking a second time.

Ya I don't think the flex joints would last as long in the mud. The rubber joints they have use the factory bushings at both ends so changing them is cheap and easy. I run the rubber joints and I'm happy with them.

For that price I'd pick them up and run the flex ends til they where out and then decide what you want to do. Rusty also sells rebuild kits for the flex ends if they need it.

You might check out Rock krawler adjustables. top gunz,tellico 4x4,discount jeep parts all sell them, solid steel big bushing body end, krawler joint axle end. and priced right.

Back