• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Drum Sticking....

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I park on a hill...use my parking brake every day. It's all new shoes/spring kit. (well, about a year old) This morning I went to release the P brake and heard a thud....It's been stuck since. I mean it rolls, but with resistance....Can I just bang the backing plate?? and why did this happen if it is all new??

Are you sure you got the leading/trailing shoes straight? Leaky wheel cylinder or axle seal?

Extreme wet/freezing weather can cause it also.

regardless of what the cause is, you need to pull it back apart anyway. My guess is there is a part installed wrong or something broke. I have a problem with the little 1/4 circle bracket the parking brake cable runs through, it won't stay in the damn hole in the shoe. Makes my PB not work worth a sh!t.

Are you sure you got the leading/trailing shoes straight? Leaky wheel cylinder or axle seal?
Sorry for the late response fellas.........It ended up being a cable issue. It seems to have freed up for now. I have been doing quite a bit of wheeling in mud lately. I'm assuming that was a factor.

Sorry for the late response fellas.........It ended up being a cable issue. It seems to have freed up for now. I have been doing quite a bit of wheeling in mud lately. I'm assuming that was a factor.

you should still pull the drums and clean up the insides, especially if you have been mudding. problems usually dont correct themselves.

Back