• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bunch of axle questions....width, bolt pattern, brakes, and steering...RC44

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm looking at a Tera 50(aftermarket high clearance, reverse cut 44 for those who don't know). It's got 3" .5" wall tubes, 3/4 ton Chevy inner knuckles and 1/2 ton Ford outers. no shafts, has hubs that need TLC and new Warn premium lockouts. No brackets(which is ok, I'm wanna do my own version of rover radius arms anyway). The bolt pattern is 5x5.5. Anyway, here are my questions.

The thing is setup to be 61.5 wms to wms which is an inch and a half wider than stock. This would be fine if my bolt pattern was 5x5.5. However, I JUST got new wheels, and really like them and don't want to get rid of them(long story, it just ain't happening). So my question is, is there anything that can be done to convert this axle to 5x4.5? if not, will the opening in my wheels fit over the hub if I do a spacer/adaptor? If I do spacers/adaptors the axle will be 64" wms to wms and my wheels are 5x4.5, what will this do to my fenders? They are currently trimmed for bushwackers.

Now for the brakes. The axle doesn't have any brakes on it except the caliper mounting plates. What would be necessary to get brakes on this thing, will they be compatible with my current MC/booster, and is there any possibility that I can use WJ calipers that I already have with any sort of efficiency?

Lastly, are the Ford knucks flattops from the factory? or is that something I'll have to get aftermarket or from another OEM source?? Shakerbuilt lives 20 mins from me, so I can get his hi-steer arms for a reasonable rate I think.

I think that's it for now, although I'm sure there will be more questions later. Thanks

Ary

P.S. How much are you guys paying for your Warn inners/outers and CTMs?? Thanks again

Last edited:
I think some earlier full sized Dodges used 44 fronts with 5 on 4.5" BP. I would be worried about wheels fitting over the hubs. Not sure how the Dodges are setup hub wise.

Static-XJ said:
I think some earlier full sized Dodges used 44 fronts with 5 on 4.5" BP. I would be worried about wheels fitting over the hubs. Not sure how the Dodges are setup hub wise.

Those very model of Dodge trucks use a POS disconnect (ala the XJ OEM system) and use no hub. The lock out on the 5x5.5 is huge and you'll need to swap rims for the axle.

As a tip, in the future, impress the people you talk to....and use the correct term... Reverse Spiral gears. :)

STRYKER said:
Those very model of Dodge trucks use a POS disconnect (ala the XJ OEM system) and use no hub. The lock out on the 5x5.5 is huge and you'll need to swap rims for the axle.

As a tip, in the future, impress the people you talk to....and use the correct term... Reverse Spiral gears. :)

Deano, are you sure?? A buddy of mine has a plymouth trailduster(ram charger) and I'm almost positive he has lockouts, and I know for a fact he has 5x4.5 bolt pattern. He's got a couple extra axles in his sideyard that he said I could scavange if I needed parts. I'll have to take the parts over there when I get them along with my spare tire and see if I can get it all to fit together. Thanks

Ary

Your ideas are pretty decent bfor now but you will end up wantig the hubs and 5'5 later on. other than amybe a little cross reffeencing with breakeline (but not much the 1/2 ton dodge stufff should work I think but you may have to use ford No big diffrence except to tryexplaining to the parts guy what you doing lol.

why don you just go with a convensional HP44 from a ford? it will cost you much less than the tera BS. if your that anal to get more clearance off your diff. take it to a machine shop. they will machine your housing for a 100-150 bucks. I got my front machined for 130 at my local machine guy.

Ary'01XJ said:
Deano, are you sure?? A buddy of mine has a plymouth trailduster(ram charger) and I'm almost positive he has lockouts, and I know for a fact he has 5x4.5 bolt pattern. . Thanks

Ary

Absolutely sure. These are the same unit that when floored, will act like a front wheel drive and squat down out back, but spin up front....because the transfer case is like an open diff.... and when the traction can't be had, it fights to deliver it to one end or the other.... just like an open diff.

Ary...if your'e looking down the road in all this, for the price of the 50, you could build a very nice early Ford High Pinion Dana 44 (from the trucks....smaller Bronco never recieved this....which confuses me...Ford, why not carry a great design across all your trucks?)

When you begin to address that steering up front, you'll want those 44 regular knuckles to be able to swap in a set of Chevy knuckles and hi-steer to get rid of any bump-steer at the height.

Just bouncing ideas and money retention options over here... don't mind me.

Let's just say this is a deal I can't pass up.... Thanks for the info guys, I'm learning tons about this stuff everyday by searching on Pirate.

Ary

Back