• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Leaf Spring Centering Pins

reverendspence

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some pinion angle shims and unfortunately, the pin that's in the leaf spring doesn't go all the way through the shim down into the perch. It only goes through the shim. When I went to find something to alleviate that, all they had were REALLY long bolts, not centering pins. Is that what I want? Or are there longer-headed centering pins for the rear leafs?

I'm tired of these friggin' vibes!

BTW, it's a '99 Cherokee and all I did was put 1.5" shackles on it!

Another BTW, if anyone needs an awesome alignment shop with great people in North Orange County (California), Lee & Sons on Harbor Blvd. in Fullerton is awesome.

I used Machine head bolts, Round head with the hex key hole from lowes/home depot... they worked great for me, wheeled emm hard for 3 years

I had bought shims from rusty and I broke a centering pin he sent along with them in 2 outings..

my local shop had some center pins that he said ford stuff used sometimes. had kind of a conical tip.. i couldn't find a picture of it online... but i did look

Either a 5/16 socket head bolt, or if you want to drill out the leaf springs (factory springs are VERY easy to drill out), a 3/8 socket head bolt works quite well. My local Ace Hardware has a nice selection of this type of hardware.

let us know what you find. if you're in a real bind, i could probably get a pair of my current ones next weekend (when i go home from school for easter) and send them to you. either that or send you my current ones after i get my new pair of shims that bolt into the leaf pack.

I make sure I buy steel shims with a 5/16" hole and get a pair of new center pins. The best shims are part of the spring pack.

I make sure I buy steel shims with a 5/16" hole and get a pair of new center pins. The best shims are part of the spring pack.
x2.

i bought mine when i was in a bind and didn't know there was another kind other than the type that is mentioned here and that's what the shop i was at happened to have. i'm not comfortable driving on them but it's not that bad. my u-bolts are tight, at least.

x2.

i bought mine when i was in a bind and didn't know there was another kind other than the type that is mentioned here and that's what the shop i was at happened to have. i'm not comfortable driving on them but it's not that bad. my u-bolts are tight, at least.

Did you know that whenever you remove your u-bolts they are supposed to be replaced?

I use 5/8" u-bots with custom spring plates. I have stretched 1/2" ones one time.

Only use steel shims, nothing else.

I've got a truck with a flip kit on the rearend. Belltech sent threaded coulpers to locate the saddles/shims. I've seen them at Lowes thet are just a nut thats about 1 1/2" long. But, the shims that bolt in would be a better idea still.

yeah right, like i'm buying new ubolts everytime I have to change something - N-E-V-E-R

:twak:

They stretch when they are tighted.

They might work a couple of times.

They could break when you hit a big pothole and cause a deadly accident too.

I have seen U-bolts break or stretch enough the axle shifts on the trail a few times.

I change mine on the third use, but mine are huge compared to stock.

The good part of this is you don't live near me.

haha. i change mine after the second, and i usually run a die over the threads between the first and second uses.

:twak:

They stretch when they are tighted.

They might work a couple of times.

They could break when you hit a big pothole and cause a deadly accident too.

I have seen U-bolts break or stretch enough the axle shifts on the trail a few times.

I change mine on the third use, but mine are huge compared to stock.

The good part of this is you don't live near me.

Things MIGHT or COULD happen anytime. I saw a dog get run over this morning and it wasnt pretty. You can usually tell when bolts are weak because you can just keep tightening them and the just keep stretching more than normal. I always run them down with an impact then I do the actual tightening by hand so I can feel what is going on. And yes, I would probably ony use them 2 or 3 times also since they get rusty and shitty so its not like they are being retorqued like 20 times

Back