• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this an unseen problem?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
so lately when ive gone to fill up my 97 4.0L auto 4x4 XJ i have noticed that if i put the gas filler nosel all the way in the the gas filler hole it wont let me hold the trigger all the way down without it immediaely clicking and stoppin. it doesnt matter which gas station im at it does it at every station

All of mine have done that. A 97,96 & 92. JIM.

well my just started doin this it never used to do this at all an i have had my XJ for 4 years. i just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and knew of a way to fix this or is this somethin i should just get used to. also i want to add that if i pull the gas filler nosel out just a lil bit then i can hold the trigger down all the way and it will fill just fine and not click until its full

all of my old(70's and earlier-ish) fords always did that. looking at the filler necks i assumed it was from the gas splashing back off that first curve in the filler tube and activating the shut-off deal in the nozzle. the '87 xj does it sometimes, but it seems like only at chevron stations...:dunno:

Back