• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

died going down the road

poorboy87

NAXJA Forum User
91 4.0 xj
crank sensor replaced 3000 miles ago
driveing down the road and it just shut off. put it in nuetral and cranked but no fire. stoped shut lights and radio off. still no fire. put it in park crank no fire. let it sit for bout a minute and it fired up.
havent had a prob since.
idk what it would be.
ive been told that pickups were known to go bad in them often.
any ideas?

Some of the cheaper crank sensors have shown a propensity for high early failure rates.

The NSS will not cause the motor to die. It only affects starting IIRC.

A complete engine shutdown is normally the CPS.

Another vote for the cps or some resistance in the connectors (there are 2 of them).

An option would be to remove the connector on the sensor itself and the one inside the engine bay near the back, by the #6 injector. Clean both thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner. If it happens again after the cleaning, you might be looking at replacing that crank sensor, again......

Sounds like a CPS. You have to throw out the fact that it's pretty new. Otherwise you might chase your tail when the answer was right there in the first place. Try replacing it and if that didn't solve it...keep it...they are good to have on hand for a spare.

crank sensor connector was clean when i put it on. crank sensor should be under warenty so i my try replaceing it. it sounds funny that its gone bad after that long. its really only been like 3 months since i got it runnin

There are 2 crank sensor connectors. Don't forget the one in the engine bay.

Early sensor failure is not as unusual as you might think. It's considered "infant mortality" in the biz.....

There are 2 crank sensor connectors. Don't forget the one in the engine bay.

Early sensor failure is not as unusual as you might think. It's considered "infant mortality" in the biz.....

I will just follow suit on the CPS. I have had brand new ones crap out in less then a month. Also, mentioned above was the NSS, which another poster chimed in and said it would only affect starting of the vehicle. That is true, the NSS will not make the vehicle die while running. As mentioned above check your connections, clean them and then reconnect. If it keeps acting up, then repalce the CPS. There is a way to test the CPS with a meter, but I dont have those specs at my desk at the moment.

borrowed the snap on scanner from the school. (had to put my life on it) scanned it.
ingnition pick up is going bad.
got one ordered should be here tomarrow.

Last edited:
no the ignition pick up as the same as the camshaft position switch. the cks and the pickup work together to keep the system in time for the computer

Actually, the term "ignition pickup" is used for both crank position and cam position, depending on what service manual and/or parts house you are referencing.

Here in XJ land the norm is CPS=cam position sensor and CKP=crank position sensor, based on the FSM, but plenty of people use CPS for the crank position sensor. If Doctors did this sort of crap there would plenty of weird outcomes from medical treatments.

Back