• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS & MAP pics please (I need to clean or replace mine)

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
I think some of you blokes said there are sensors that can be cleaned. Not sure if I need new ones or not. BUT can you fellers show me some pics of 96 or newer (I have a 97) motor images and how easy / hard it is to get to / clean / replace this garbage. Thanks in advance.

:peace:

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor. Typically does not require cleaning, just replacement at widely-spaced intervals (read: "when it fails.") Can be checked - note my posts on the subject elsewhere.

MAP - Manifold Absolut Pressure sensor. Also does not typically require cleaning. It's either connected to the manifold with a vacuum line (early) or sometimes on the base of the throttle body (late.) Replace when fails.

CPS - Actually CKP - CranKshaft Position sensor. Usually good for 140-160Kmiles (RENIX) or 180-200Kmiles (1991-up.) Found at 11:00 on the bellhousing, looking at the rear end of the engine. No end of fun to get to. Does not require PM.

IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor. This is usually threaded into the intake plenum, and is likewise a "dry" sensor for your year (RENIX - 1987-1990 - has an EGR circuit, and the IAT gets crapped up with carbon. The EGR was deleted for 1991-up. No, the camshaft timing hasn't been changed. It wasn't changed until 1996. I think they actually accomplished the reversion with port design.) Replace yours when it fails - can't really give an estimate.

HEGO - Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor. Found in the exhaust manifold, just before the downpipe attaches (OBD-II will also have a downstream sensor after the catalytic converter to monitor catalyst efficienty.) Later OBD-II rigs (1999-up?) have the exhaust split into two banks of three cylinders each - and two HEGO sensors per bank (pre- and post-cat.) These tend to get clogged up with carbon in the exhaust, and have a spec life of ~60Kmiles. I've seen them go 150-180Kmiles without incident. While you can clean the protective cage on the sensor tip, you can't really clean the carbon out of the porous ceramic tip proper - and that's what causes all the trouble. A HEGO failure locks the ECU into Open Loop operation, and your fuel mileage will drop - replace the upstream HEGO(s) to correct. You should get a code when there is a HEGO fault in any location.

Sorry I don't have any pix, but the descriptions should make them easier for you to find.

I think some of you blokes said there are sensors that can be cleaned. Not sure if I need new ones or not. BUT can you fellers show me some pics of 96 or newer (I have a 97) motor images and how easy / hard it is to get to / clean / replace this garbage. Thanks in advance.

:peace:

Seems like the main thing to clean is the IAC (idle air control motor) which is on the side of the throttle body. It should be cleaned when having idle speed problems, either too high or too low. The other item to keep an eye on is spark plugs, but usually they are changed intead of cleaned, unless you really have an oilburner. Then they can be cleaned with spray start. (out of the engine)

Back