• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission temperature gauge problem

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
I over-heated my tranny and like many installed a cooler. After doing all the research her I decided because I'm in the hot desert I wasn't going to plumb through the radiator. After running the thing a while I could feel the temperature difference of the hose on either side and the cool side is cool enough to keep my hand on. When I bought the cooler, I also bought a gauge and finally put it in last weekend. From the beginning it has been inconsistent. Yesterday on the way to work it got to about 120, outside temp low 50's. On the way home, solid 160, outside temp low 80's. My 25 mile drive drive to work here in Phoenix is pretty flat and I'm not hard on the skinny peddal. This morning, same temp and it was in the red. It's been off and on like this since I put it in. I verified fluid level after the install and it's good.

I have two possible scenarios; 1 - not a solid enough ground, 2 - not good enough fluid flow over the sensor.

I installed the sensor near the NSS and the "T" points up which could allow an air bubble. I'm tempted to loosen it and flip it over. Here's the install:

IMG00117.jpg

As for the ground, the cooler connects with rubber hose now, and the connection tto the tranny is via plastic clip. I'm thinking of using a hose clamp to clapm a ground wire to the pipe.

Ok, time for your expert opinions!

Back