• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centralia Day trip on sunday?

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Im plannin on heading down. Going the head over to Centralia sunday a.m. before heding home. Anyone else want to do a centralia trip sunday?

I went a month or so ago its pretty cool. my friend does some paving work so we had an infrared thermometer gun thing, some of the ground temps were over 100 degs. and it was around 32 out side

wow, that's crazy what was in the mines? coal?

Yeah its a coal mine fire that they cant put out, the state basically bought out everyone (there are about 12 or so hold outs) and basically wiped it off the map, re-routed highways etc to avoid it. Basically wrote it off.

Last edited:
wow, that's crazy what was in the mines? coal?

it was in some of the cracks in the ground, by the cemetery. if you go you have to check out the abandoned section of highway.

CIMG5166.jpg

CIMG5167.jpg

that's impressive minus the graffiti

Im stupid. I forgot what forum we were in and thought you meant this sunday. I have to see what my passengers want to do. I might head over there with you.

I have to admit I'm thinking about this - the notion's been knocking about my head since last year.

It's a neat place and really not that far from the park...

n24800499_31904173_922.jpg

This is what's left of the "town":

n24800499_31904176_2040.jpg

Looks like there has been some more recent graffiti since I was there...

n24800499_31904178_2796.jpg

n24800499_31904183_4680.jpg

That sucks about the graffiti, looks like quite an impressive place...

I've been there a few times... its rather mezmerizing if you ask me. If anyone has ever played the video games of silent hill or seen the movie.... Centrailia is the setting... supposigdly its haunted which i can believe. alot of miners lost their lives in their.

I used to live in the area (10 miles away) and used to go to school on the bus on that road, and when I got my driver's license I used to race my friends down this highway to and from school before it closed. It was actually flat then, the ground underneath has changed quite a bit!!!! I have never heard of any "hauntings" but from my understanding the mine fire was started from someone buring trash which started the coal burning and it hasn't stopped yet. I go back home alot and it is weird to see how empty it is compared to when I was in high school. There was a performance shop in town called the Speed Spot that I had bought parts for my Camaro from. The streets were full of houses with people sitting on their porches, it strange when I think about driving through there now! My father actually owns a house in the next town over (Aristes) still. The only thing I would be careful of if you have never wheeled there before is sinkholes and/or mine subsidence. Don't get close to the edge of any holes in the ground especially with your rig.

Last edited:
My wife grew up in Natalie, a couple minutes away from Centralia. As far as I know no one died in the mine fires but a kid came close. Fell into a sink hole. My aunt told me about her friends basement disappeared when a sink hole opened up under her house. I watched a program on history channel about it and it was pretty neat. It used to be a booming town and now all the Coal region is dying. Do be careful around any sink holes.

Back