• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep fixing or time to move on?

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I have a low mileage (112k) 1990 with a few problems and I'm sitting on the fence of selling or continuing the repair train this year.
The body and interior are clean, floorboards are solid but need rustproofing in another year and just a bit of rust starting at the rear rockers. The AW4 is solid as is the 242 T-case and the power windows even work! I have a cheap stereo that works okay. I've daily driven it for 3 years and it has always started, no running problems although I have replaced alot of small parts in my ownership and know it inside out. I installed a rocklizard style lift around a year and a half ago and installed LT235 tires with new shocks, so it rides okay and the suspension is good for my needs. It was in a minor accident before I bought it but no tweaks to the unibody or axles, just a new door. Nonetheless, it still shows that it was in an accident so resale is next to nothing for me if I want to sell.

jeep.jpg

I need to have new axleshaft u-joints/TRE's installed and an alignment. Now that the shocks and lift have broken in and softened up, I should really install new swaybar links in the front to keep the handling in check. No space so I have to pay a shop for all this work...ouch!

Also, the 4.0 has been ticking due to heavy carbon buildup for the last 3 years/15k miles which hasn't really gotten worse. I still get good mileage and power and drive it hard on long distance (10hr) trips once and a while and it doesn't burn or leak any oil, no blowby either. I'm always worried it'll blow up one day though, so I always have to budget a good chunk of money for a new junkyard engine and installation. On the other hand, it could just tick away for another 15k miles and last me another 3 years. I only put 5k miles on it last year, so it would last me a long time.

If I keep it, I'd like to start taking it on longer road trips as well as wheeling it harder and eventually install 31" tires to do a bit more expedition and camping. On the upside, I would own a mildly lifted XJ that I'm comfortable with mechanically that could easily take me all the places I want to go without too much worry about scratches and dents. On the downside, I will likely have to spend $1500 on a junkyard engine, front end work and misc other minor repairs in the next year, then start dealing with a bit of cancer.

Should I spend the money to keep (my first) XJ on the road for a few more years and drive the wee out of it until it's completely gone, or should I sell it as-is now and apply a bit more cash into buying a new rig (possibly a ZJ). My budget doesn't allow for anything too new, so either way I'm going to end up with something 10 years old (at least). Considering the low resale I'd get with it's title and the work needed, I'm not too sure what would be better.

You could put the TREs in while in a parking lot. Just count the turns to remove them and put them back in the same number of turns. Axleshaft u-joints a bit more complicated so maybe have a shop do it but buy the parts yourself.

Why is your engine building up carbon? From the sound of things you drive it enough it shouldn't carbon up. Check your t/stat, you might not be warming up enough and the O2 sensor is making it run rich. Put some acetone through the fuel tank, maybe run a step or two hotter plugs for awhile. Keep the oil changed, maybe run Seafoam or some ohter engine flush through it.

Personally, I would keep it. BTW, you have any two-year colleges in Canada, perhaps one with an auto mechanics program? They will usually do repairs with the students working on your rig for chump change for labor.

I would keep the one you have, none of that sounds too bad, if you started with another you might be starting from ground zero. Nice looking 90 bro, keep on keepin on.

I have always stated most people do not sell\trade a vehicle because it has no issues and is a wonderful vehicle. That being the case, it sound like you know the exact issues you need to address. So personally my thought are take care of the issue you know or go out and pay money for issue you have no idea of yet.

Keep it. That motor will go over 250k with regular oil changes.

A junkyard motor can be had for around $500, and the swap isn't that bad. You can also build it while its out, might want to wait for a newer rig for a build.

The suspension you could do yourself also.

Now the cancer.... Let it go, there is no cure, only bandaids. I tried, seen pros try, seen educated pros try. Just let it go.:smoker:

Keep it, its worth it. I would keep it as is, just fix suspension issues and use it. Keep clean oil in the motor and keep it tuned.

I say keep it.

You already have a long history with it. You know what's wrong with it. It's nothing major.

Almost any vehicle is worth repairing as long as the body/frame holds up. It sound like your body is still pretty darn good. So is your drivetrain. Sound like your motor will last a long time. It's not too ugly and I'm sure that 4WD is a big thing to have up in BC. You can probably do a lot more on it yourself than you give yourself credit for, but even if you have to pay to get the work done, no other vehicle will end up being cheaper unless you want to switch out to a little front wheel drive car. But as far a working on them, most of them are harder than the XJ. Especially with the low miles you drive not killing you on fuel economy and gas is back down for now anyway, you can't go wrong with your XJ.

This is always good to remember as well. Anytime I have to fix something on my XJ (its my dd as well), I always say well..... at least I don't have a car payment to make. That makes what little money I spend on repairs seem that much less of an issue.

I think you guys are all making the right decision for me. I was feeling pretty down with the idea of taking it to a shop to have work done (first time I've ever used a shop), but I realized that hey, once in 3 years isn't so bad for a 19 year old vehicle. At the least I'll buy the parts for the shop to cut down on costs a bit. I suppose it still beats making payments on a newer vehicle that might need the same work a few months down the road.

I've decided to have the U-joints and alignment done ASAP. At the same time I think I'll have new swaybar links installed so it handles better on the highway. With the alignment and new front end components I'm hoping it'll drive like a racing-jeep and keep me happy in the DD department for a while longer.

How can I get rid of an older XJ with paint like this?
jeep001-1.jpg

Repair it as needed. A ZJ may not be as off road worthy, and you really don't get much of an improvement other than looks.

Paint? Search for internet discussions on "the $50 paint job." You'd be amazed at the pictures. I'm sanding mine now. After all, if you plan to wheel it, why sink $4000 into paint?

Now the cancer.... Let it go, there is no cure, only bandaids. I tried, seen pros try, seen educated pros try. Just let it go.:smoker:

Keep it, its worth it. I would keep it as is, just fix suspension issues and use it. Keep clean oil in the motor and keep it tuned.

You can slow the progression of rust down though, which means less $$$$ spent on patch panels in the future. I think anything is worth a shot.:guitar:

MI sucks balls for rust :skull1:so yea, gotta do what ya gotta do. Spray oil on the belly to keep rust away... or at least to not watch the jeep rot as ya watch.:bawl:

it dont matter what the history is. if it runs and drives it is no better or worse then anything you could buy with the money you will make off of it.

Keep it, you know the vehicle inside and out. anything else you buy will be a new guessing game that has the potential to be a headache.

As far as repairing it and shop costs go...take the risk, do it yourself. Search for walk throughs (this site is FULL of them) most things are so easy a caveman could do it...hell, I do! Its fun and rewarding...and you learn things that can save your butt if you ever get stuck in the middle of nowhere!

As far as repairing it and shop costs go...take the risk, do it yourself. Search for walk throughs (this site is FULL of them) most things are so easy a caveman could do it...hell, I do! Its fun and rewarding...and you learn things that can save your butt if you ever get stuck in the middle of nowhere!

I just don't have any parking space to do the work, my parking at my current rental is on a steep incline.
I really like turning wrenches for that exact reason, I like to learn it and be able to do it if need be in the future, and I'm pretty bummed that I won't be doing the work myself this time around! I've done a substantial amount of work to this XJ (more than I care to admit!), and I've really enjoyed the learning process as I went.

Back