• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so im feeling pretty proud...

Brandon41177

NAXJA Forum User
Called a local muffler shop and got a quote on full exhaust (2.5inch pipe completely replaced with muffler, and cat)... $420.:bs: i said "ohhh... how much would it cost if i bought the parts and had you install them?" "$50" i replied "okay.. well i will probably be calling you in a couple days."

went to summitracing.com, found a universal high flow cat, 2.5 inlet and outlet (got a to have a cat, 1996 xj with emissions coming up) for $55.95. and it's even stainless steel. :sunshine: next i found a aluminized steel raptor turbo muffler, 2.5 inlet and outlet for $25.95. (i went cheap cuz i figure i'll prolly punch a hole in it eventually.) :confused1

so after it all, 91.85 for the parts+shipping.

91.85(muffler and cat)+$50 (install)+$50(cuz he prolly low balled me over the phone.)= 191.85 subtract that from the original $420 he quoted me, im up about $228.15. :viking:

wanted to share the pride in finding a good deal. i recommend summit for anything street performance, i have a 1981 camaro z28 i recently did a engine swap and build up on and i spent thousands thro them, over the millions i would have spent other places.

cheers.

Do you have pictures to go with this write-up? I'm not sure if I'm grasping the full concept.

50 bucks labor is cheap... i'll bet he assumed you were providing the mild steel too. i'll bet you'll end up paying 150 to the shop (at least). that kind of stuff isn't even close to that cheap around here...

Hmmm, you got a quote for an entirely new exhaust system, that would include the 2.5in pipe, which will need to be bent and routed and one end will need to be flanged to fit with your exh. manifold, a new muffler and cat plus hangers. How can you compare a full exhaust system to a new el cheapo muffler and cat? Anyways, $50 isnt cheap for chopping out an old muffler/cat and welding in new ones, It's a 15-20 min job. If you can't weld, use exhaust clamps and put the new stuff in yourself, you'll come out spending around $10.

You're missing the pipe from the end of the muffler to the tailpipe

I went to the mandrel shop on Tuesday and bought two 409 ss tailpipes: one 2.25" for my brother, and one 2.5" for the red 96 that failed inspection for rusty cat-back. They were $95 w/tax each(the shop is on eBay if you search for Jeep exhaust, but you'll have to pay $30 shipping). I have a $66 shipped 2.5" magnaflow on the way, bought a 3$ 2.5" tailpipe clamp, and still have to go to Napa to get the two 2.5" band clamps($15-20--was closed the other day for inventory?). The aluminized steel mandrel bent tailpipes were $63 with tax. I can see where the full custom ss exhaust w/ new 2.5" down pipe, new cat, muffler, tailpipe, clamps, and labor cost $400.

Last edited:
Sorry I am not the best at welding I know that it can be done but you are mixing stainless and aluminized steel and mild steel. I know I would be blowing holes in it for a bit till I found the right setting. Anybody have any info on what materials would be needed to mix these, and if so are you going to have to worry about galvanic corrosion?

Oh and what is the name of the company on ebay if I might ask I am interested in making the straight pipe sound go away while replacing the bent up downpipe. Yes I have a cat in there but that is all

I have my stock dented up exhaust. I have punched a few holes in it. I just weld up the holes and call it good. I am not to sure if an after market exhaust will yield extra power.

I'm pretty sure an aftermarket exhaust will, at least I've been told it does yield some extra power. It's one of those things that combined with other things will make it work better. The stock muffler is very restrictive compared to aftermarket free-flowing ones.

$115 for alumanized pipes catback... 2.5" I provided a flowmaster 40 series. I'm not a huge flowmaster fan in terms of performance cars (everyone has them(n)), but would recommend them on a Jeep since they're friggin bulletproof and last forever.:thumbup:

i just replaced the exhaust on my 89 for the cost of the parts and used ubolts to make the connection. installation fee was 0$. an exhaust on an xj is simple and can easily done with a sawszall and wrench. its a do it yourself job.

yeah, the stock tailpipe is only like $20 at the auto parts store - and its sufficient to use with a better cat and muffler - not the BEST system but neither is what you're looking to do

I bought a Magnaflow High Flow Cat w/ O2 sensor bung for $60 shipped on Ebay, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler from Autozone for $20, and another $10 in piping from Autozone and installed myself for a grand total of $90 for new exhaust. Sounds great too! Oh, and it's all 2.5".

LOL, knock on wood but I havent crushed my tailpipe much yet wheeling. BUT, I gaurantee you if I spent $100 on a stainless one it would probably be ruined the first time out. Thats why I like the cheap ones for a trail rig.

Back