• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch ?

89jeepie

NAXJA Forum User
im putting on a 8000 lb winch and was wondering if i should add another battery or higher output altinator? if a second battery is needed dos anyone have a wrightup on how to wire it in?

My Warn 8000 will drain my red top in about a min on a really hard pull. Dual batts are deffentally a good idea.
Higher output altinator depends weather you have a self regulating altinator or if its regulated by the computer.

i have a red top optima with a 10,000 lb winch. when im winching i leave my jeep idling. i have no problems with dead batterys... but my idle jumps up to about 1500 rpm's when its in park so thats prolly why.

A better alternator would be the best. If you put two batters then you will have to do an alternator to. Stock alternator is only 90 amps, and thats at higher rpms.

I think a better alternator with one battery should be fine if your not using it a lot. Also not using a lot of other high current eletronics. They dont come cheap though.

i wont be usen the winch all the time..just to help get out of mud..lots of clay here in oklahoma..iv got a over sized battery..iv put 2 altinators on so its no biggie..so if i just have the jeep running it would be ok?

i wont be usen the winch all the time..just to help get out of mud..lots of clay here in oklahoma..iv got a over sized battery..iv put 2 altinators on so its no biggie..so if i just have the jeep running it would be ok?

Yeah, keep it running and you will be fine. Our bunch typically uses a winch several times over a weekend. None of us have had problems with an Optima Yellow Top, or an Interstate battery. On a long hard pull, you can tach it up, and let it idle for a while afterwards. . .

Back