• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Affordable Tire Solution...

97VAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up some parts for my cheap bastard lift. I am currently running stocker 225s on my XJ. I am shooting for 3-4" of lift so i wanna go with 31X10.50. Any suggestions on the best/cheapest place in NOVA or on the net to purchase/mount/balance these bad boys???(Obviously i cant mount and balance the tires on the net...that is for people who live in my area.)

Also i am running stock rims that i like and would like to avoid buying new black Cragers like everyone else who owns a Jeep.

Is the stock backspacing going to cause me any problems or maybe not...

I dont know what the rims are called or any OEM numbers...all i got is they are the stock Cherokee rims that are graphite color with the silver lip.

Thanks for the input.

Try treadwright.com They are good quality dirt cheep tires. I have been running a set of 33 mt's from them for 2 yrs now with no problems. They have a good product and great customer service.

yes the do i have 31x10.50 paid 399.00 shipped i think when i orderd mine the 33 's were out but great tire little road noise but they are m/t s

hmmm, i am def. a little skeptical of retreaded tires but it seems like they are pretty decent.

have you guys had any problems or heard of one exploding or something?

BTW thanks for the info...it seems like a good solution. Now i just have to figure out if they are gonna rub on anything.

I have heard very few complaints about them. The only problem that I have heard on more than one occasion is that if you run them at really low pressure off road the tread can separate, but I run mine at about 10 psi with no problems at all.

x2, been running my treadwrights hard for 3 years now, definitely good for the money.

Since you are just on post 4.....

Welcome to NOVA.

I run 31x10.50 on stock rims with 4.5" lift. No real problems on anything over 3" lift other than a tendancy to rub on the lower control arms at full lock, you learn not to turn so tight or you just adjust the steering stop bolts, a 5 minute job.

I run Dayton / Firestone, 3 ply sidewall and they work real well in both rock and mud, though I dont like mud. I bought a pair last spring when oil was sky high and they ran around $125 mounted and balanced at the McLean Firestone.

John

could try a local mom and pop tire store in your area and get a set of "knock off" tires.

i got a set of 31's AT for 420$ at a local store in y area.

hmmm, i am def. a little skeptical of retreaded tires but it seems like they are pretty decent.

There is little to worry about with retreads that you wouldn't have to worry about with a new tire. The process they use to make them has MONUMENTALLY evolved from what it used to be.

As stated a few people have said the treads can separate at super low tire pressures, but again they're not designed to do that so what can you expect? A few other reviews I've read have said a few of their patterns chunk when in the rocks. But again, all tires can do this.

Blowouts? I wouldn't worry about that. It takes a LOT to explode a tire. either a HUGE crater that you would have to be blind not to see, smashing into a curb, or running too low of pressure at highway speeds, destroying the inner walls, causing the whole thing to fall apart from inside out. Again - happens to all tires.

In the end, they seem worth every dollar, and take just as preventative maintenance as any other tire on the market. Take care of your stuff and it will do the same to you and your passengers.

Dunno if they have them, but Pep Boys would be a good place for cheap tires. I'm running the Definity Dakota M/T's in 31x10.5-15. Have had them for almost 2 years now. Close to around 20,000 miles. They come with a 40,000 mile warranty, which at the time was a pretty amazing feat seeing as very few other M/T tires came with any kind of warranty at all. I'll easily see that, probably 45,000-50,000.

Pep Boys always seems to be running a buy 3 get 1 free promo. That's how I got mine. You have to pay full price for the tires ($99 each when I got mine) plus you have to have them mounted and balanced by them. Then you get a mail in rebate for the price of one tire. The rebate was mailed in the next day, and took about 2 months to get back. OTD was around $560, then the $99 rebate. Not a bad deal.

Overall they are a decent tire for a mild weekend wheeler. The sidewall is a bit sketchy if you run in heavy rocks. I do rocks occasionally, but I'm mild compared to some I run with. I'd probably buy them again for the types of wheeling I do.

cheapest tire you can get is CRAIGSLIST.com!!!!!11

i saw MANY, too many great deals on a tire thats barely broken in and along some with wheels

i bought my 34x9.50r15 TSL swampers with alloys for $300 off craigslist (acutally came out to be a member on here! haha)

"Also i am running stock rims that i like and would like to avoid buying new black Cragers like everyone else who owns a Jeep.
Is the stock backspacing going to cause me any problems or maybe not..."

I've got 4.5" of lift and i run 31X10.50s in the winter on my stock rims and haven't had any problems.

You should be fine with 31's. Like said just adjust your steering stops if it gets annoying. If it's really that bad snag some 1/4 or 3/8 spacers from the local store. Just make sure your studs have enough length to grab the nuts.

Awesome!!! I think im gonna go with treadwright cause costco is still expensive and i dont have a Pep Boys near me. I am getting married in August so money is really tight.

I love these Jeep sites...they make it hard to sleep at night...Im always thinking of things to look up and search.

Anyway thanks for the great info guys.

Haha...you think money is tight now...wait till your married.

JK...

I have several friends running the treadwrights and they have had no issues out them. They typically don't go below 10psi though, from what others are saying that may be the only issue with them. If you ride alot of snow/sand, I might think twice about it but other than that go for it man.

Yea i know man i was just telling the lady that i need to get new tires anyway so i might as well do it all at once lift, tires, etc. and she is on my back but shes not a B#$%& about it so its all good. They say on the site that all the sidewalls might not match. In Virginia you cant have more than 2 different tires ie brand. I guess i will have to specify that i need all matching sidewalls!!

Back