• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using Warn hubs to create 2 low gearing

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
I am running Warn hubs on my 92 cherokee need and opinions on whether it is safe to leave the hubs in free spin mode and shift into 4 low on the transfer case creating in effect 2 low. I e-mailed Warn and they said it would have no effect on the hublocks and it was ok for the hubs, but does anyone know if there would be any issues with the rest of the drive train such as transfer case, front drive shaft or front axle. I am thinking no problems but I heard heard somewhere it is not advisable. The reason I ask is because on a trail i just ran, it was a steep downhill, graded flat with tight switchbacks that caused binding in 4 low, so I put the hubs in free spin, left it in 4 low and problem solved. I just want to make sure it is a good idea in the long run. Thanks.

Just make sure when you shift from 2wd to 4wd you are stationary. With the hubs freewheeling the front driveshaft will not be spinning. When you shift into 4wd the front driveshaft will have to go from zero rpm to the same that the rear is running at instantaneously. I did it once by mistake! I keep my hubs locked most of the time now.

Just make sure when you shift from 2wd to 4wd you are stationary. With the hubs freewheeling the front driveshaft will not be spinning. When you shift into 4wd the front driveshaft will have to go from zero rpm to the same that the rear is running at instantaneously. I did it once by mistake! I keep my hubs locked most of the time now.

I never would have thought of that. Now that I have thought of it makes total sense. Good call.
icon14.gif

That's a very good point!
Billy

I never thought about stopping to shift in low range. It is good to know that I have the two wheel drive option for those steep roads that do not require four wheel drive. Thanks for all the help. Randy

Back