• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fins-N-Things/Needles/Beef Basin 3/22-3/26/2009 *Warning: Many Pictures*

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
We have been trying to get back to the Needles District of Canyonlands for several years and something always interferes. We finally made it back during my wifes Spring Break (she is an elementary teacher).
We left Sunday morning 3/22 and headed NW. After a stop at Franciscos in Durango for lunch the wind started getting insane! The windsocks at the little airport north of Monticello UT were stretched so hard that they looked more like caution cones then windsocks. Feeling that setting up a tent in this would be impossible (not to mention the air was so thick with sand that it would have proably filled the tent) we decided on getting a hotel in Moab.
Monday morning we got up and had breakfast at the Jailhouse Cafe and then headed for Fins-N-Things. We had run the south side but never the north. I am always amazed at what a vehicle can drive up!
I also love how you can see the tracks on the slickrock....
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-11.jpg

Now it was time to fill up the tank (and the scepter cans) and head for Needles.
Hwy 211 on the way to Needles, I had forgotten what a beautiful drive 211 is!
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-25.jpg

We setup camp on the south end of Lockhart Basin just north of Hamburger Rock.
This is the view from our campsite:
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-23.jpg

Tuesday morning we broke camp and headed for Needles and Elephant Hill.
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-10.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-22.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-21.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-19.jpg

We stopped and hiked the Joint trail. It was fun and provided us some great views.
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-9.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-12.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-7.jpg

We then continued on our way to the campsite just south of the park(N38.05658 W109.92273) that Alex had told me about (there are advantages to having lunch with Alex right before you leave on a tript to Utah :)).
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-18.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-17.jpg

After we setup camp I was setting in my chair tending the fire and saw this to my right:
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-8.jpg

Continued:

Wednesday we got up and headed to Beef Basin. Bobby's Hole was no problem. A little loose maybe but I didn't even spin a tire. The matting the BLM put down is starting to get torn up. there were big chunks of it already laying on the side of the hill.
The reason we were there:
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-5.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-6.jpg

We drove down part of Ruin Canyon and saw this very well preserved grainary. We climbed up the cliff for a better view:
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-3.jpg

The roof:
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-4.jpg

We saw a heard of Mule Deer (more then 20) crosing the trail later in the day and I was amazed hoe calm they were . Even with the Jeep in the midst of them they didn't really seem to care.
Thursday morning we woke up to this:
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-2.jpg

We packed up camp and headed for the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers.
I love entering a National Park through a farm gate!
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-13.jpg

Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-1.jpg

It snowed of and on Thursday (including on the short hike to the confluence).
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin0-14.jpg

Back over Elephant Hill and out of the park we went. I stopped at Newspaper Rock.
Fins-N-Things-Needles-BeefBasin03-0.jpg

I love contemplating all of the people who have made a mark on that place!
It was cold and the wind was bad but we had a GREAT time. I was concerned my wife would get fedup with the weather but all she can talk about is going back. This was our first trip were we camped in the "back country" and we loved it! We didn't see any people for almost two days and when we did talk to someone they were enjoying the beauty and solitude as much as we were.
I can not wait to spending even more time exploring this area!
Glen

Great pic's, between you and IntrepidXJ this is really unfair for the rest of us that have not got out yet. Looks like you had a good trip.

Great pic's, between you and IntrepidXJ this is really unfair for the rest of us that have not got out yet. Looks like you had a good trip.

Thanks, we had a great time.

Great pics, looks like an awesone trip! That said,

...Bobby's Hole was no problem. A little loose maybe...
Glen

:laugh2:

Back