• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with gears

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally got sick of the vibration even with a sye, and took it to the driveline shop. They got the angles corrected and now it drives good, but they said that the pinion bearing is rough and should be replaced soon, you can probably guess the price they quoted.

I currently have 3.73 gears and am thinking about going to 4.10 if i have to rip apart the axles I would also throw a rebuild kit in both front and rear.
I am pretty competent with the mechanical part of it but a little nervous about getting the gears aligned just right, is there anyone in the LA area that would be interested in helping out? I will provide food & drinks and possibly some cash. I can come to you or I have a driveway in west LA to use.

I haven't bought anything yet because I want to make sure ill be able to get help installing them, so at this point it is just a feeler.

it costed me 425.00 shipped for everything from performance offroad center.com (porc)

I would like to go 4.56 but I only have 31"s and i just bought them in Dec so its going to be at least a year or more before i wear them out, I DD this and do 90% highway so i think 4.56 might be a little overkill for me at this time.

I am perfectly happy with the 3.73 after driving my other XJ with 3.55 for over a year with 31", but i figure while i have it open ill swap in some other gears and i found the 4.10 for $100 front / rear.

If you ever think for a second you might go to 33's....GET THE 4.56's!!!

Even with 31's the rpm won't be too bad, motor will be spinning on the highway, but with almost no load. I ran 4.56's with 32's and thank myself everytime I get in the jeep for not going with 4.10's.

PS...

Mileage will be the same with 4.56's or 4.10's with 31's....if you go bigger with 4.10's you're mileage will suck.

if u're not going to go to a bigger tie and lift combo stay with 4.10's. if u plan to go big in the future...then u get the picture. my point is dont spend the money twice.

And some more food for thought...

My MJ has 5.99 axles....and is still freeway driveable with 36 inch tires. Under 3000 rpm at 65mph

Right now im about 2500 - 3000k on the highway, so i am not sure what it would be like with 4.56 but i will think about it, it also depends on cost... I am waiting for a insurance claim to come through, after that i might be able to afford some new gears otherwise i will have to get used.

What axles? Go with 4.56's and _DON'T_ drop money on a D35. 4.56's and 31's will not spin that high of RPM's. 4.56's are only 11% lower than the 4.10s. So if you're turning 2200 rpm at freeway speeds, then you'll run about 2400. You'll also find that the while it will spin a tad higher, it will accelerate better, and most your gas mileage is wasted during acceleration.

Get the 4.56's. I went 4.11's with 31's and a 5spd and am now telling myself no on bigger tires just because I don't want to regear again.

Back