• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 87 Wagoneer Headlight ??

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK I wanted to start a new thread

Old thread here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=974719

Now all 4 headlights went out. I'm at a loss after following all the suggestions listed/mentioned here and what I could find via searching.

I was able to locate the junction/connection of the headlight wiring behind the Drivers' Side headlight bucket. I pulled those out and cleaned them up (they were quite corroded) and was able to check and find 12v power to the heavy red wire that connects (in the junction connection) to the headlight wiring. That was a constant 12v w/lights turned on and off. Once cleaned and reconnected there is still 0 Volts to either the Hi or Low headlight outlet.

It's almost as thought the dimmer switch is bad

part here via autozone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...rical+&+Lighting&parentId=cat10012&questions=[]

How do I check the dimmer switch and is there a way to get too it w/out removing the the steering wheel?

or there is a Relay that's bad. I'm not sure how to check relays or which relay might or might not control the headlights. There is 1 relay mounted on the drivers side fender nearly right above the wheel well. There are 4 relays mounted on the passenger side behind the battery. Do any of these control the headlights? I found about 6/8 fusible link wires behind the battery as well and they all look good. Not sure how to check them but they don't look burned or frayed and the wiring is all connected.

I found 1 blown 10amp fuse under the dash in the fuse-box and that was for the Electric Dash Clock... so at least I fixed something. :)

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Was the actual headlight switch checked? Mine's been so hot the junction plug is just sitting on the terminals, so much has literally melted away. A good bump will disconnect it.

I didn't check the actual Headlight Switch per-say... but it was loose. Almost like the little push-in catch under the HL Switch or the plastic/metal it 'clicks' in has busted loose. I did replace that switch w/a new one about 1 yr back and the one I replaced was burnt to a crisp...

After doing some reading here I'm thinking it could quite possibly be the Dimmer Switch. I'll just have to pull the steering column cover and check it now that I know where it's located.

Back