• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank changablity

foxwar71

NAXJA Forum User
i tried searching, i failed. as some of u guys may kno, the jeep was in an accident a week before i left for my move to WY (crash carnage). well, as i pulled into my new home, my tank let go. i guess im lucky cuz it coulda blown up on me. my tailpipe had fallen off and i guess that and drive for 30 miles at 3K uphill into the wind with a trailer dont mix well at all and i melted the stupid plastic tank. i was wonderin what other years would swap

99XJ 4.0 20 gallon

Hey, Ross..... guess you made it...! Though, perhaps, barely...:)

(Per my research, I don't think you will find a larger-cap. option for the '99. I understand that you weren't addressing that as an option...) Can't confirm, but you likely need a 97-on for compatibility.

Stay outta trouble out there....

- Steve

You canjust replace the straps with metal ones if your tank is still in good shape. Sounds like you had the trip of a lifetime.....Have fun and if you need some fun traik Mt, Ut, and Wa are close. Oh I guess you have those big hill too.

Wa Woody said:
I would make the jump to a larger tank. Good Luck

Woody
You'll need more than luck; you'll need to find someone that actually makes a larger tank for the 97+. :doh:

Back