• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed Pro pistons?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I'm rebuilding the lower end on my '96----my girlfriend ("The Jeep Killer") managed to put a hole in one of the pistons.........they tend to get real hot when the water pump isn't turning! The rebuild kit I ordered came with Speed Pro pistons (a well known brand)......first they sent me the wrong size but, now I finally recieved the correct ones but, I noticed that the skirts are considerably shorter than the factory Mopar pistons (I checked the numbers online and they are indeed the right ones). My question: has anybody experienced any piston slap with these short skirt pistons? I'm sure it's not a problem as I know alot of rebuilders probably use these same pistons, just curious. Oh, and is anything made in the USA anymore? The first set of pistons were made in India and the replacements were made in Mexico!:dunno: ---------Hans

No It will be fine. Just makes them lighter really. They can end up being shorter if you have them balanced with the rods and crank.

As far as made in the US. Not sure, none of my ford 302 parts were made in america eather.

No It will be fine. Just makes them lighter really. They can end up being shorter if you have them balanced with the rods and crank.

As far as made in the US. Not sure, none of my ford 302 parts were made in america either.
Yeah, I did a little more research and found that the hypereutectic (man that's a mouthful) pistons have a non-scuff coating on them and are about .001" larger in diameter than a regular cast piston of the same spec so, I guess it'll be fine. Funny you should mention the "import" Ford 302. I once bought a core 302 Ford to build for my Bronco and right there cast into the lifter valley......."Hecho en Mexico" :dunno: -----------Hans

Yeah, I did a little more research and found that the hypereutectic (man that's a mouthful) pistons have a non-scuff coating on them and are about .001" larger in diameter than a regular cast piston of the same spec so, I guess it'll be fine. Funny you should mention the "import" Ford 302. I once bought a core 302 Ford to build for my Bronco and right there cast into the lifter valley......."Hecho en Mexico" :dunno: -----------Hans

that's actually the more sought after 302 block used primarily in the late 60's and early 70's. It's got a much higher nickle content that it's more common US brother and far more durable.

that's actually the more sought after 302 block used primarily in the late 60's and early 70's. It's got a much higher nickle content that it's more common US brother and far more durable.
Really? You should have seen the ridge on it, though. Went .040" over (TRW forged flat tops) to clean it up but, man was that motor torquey......used to bark my 35"s big time going into 3rd (NP435 so, third was more like second gear:) )-----------Hans

Wow, just did a little research on the "Mexican blocks".......I thought I was pretty Ford savy. I'm humbled by your knowledge---------Hans

Yeah my 302 parts are from all over the place. Mexico, China, US and more. Its strong though. Edelbrock heads, cam, comp roller rockers. But I did keep the 2 barrel on it. 350 hp with it though, not to bad. It doesnt have to breath very hard to get moving thats for sure.

The pistons in it not really sure what brand they are. Sounds stupid but I got them out of a rebuild kit. There forged but have small grooves on the sides to help with oil retension.

I'm a big fan of a small 4 venturi carb on those engines. Keep the primary throttle bore as small as you can and you should improve both low RPM throttle response and average MPG (if you can keep your foot out of it).

Back to the OP-- Speed Pro used to be a quality product and probably still is. I cannot vouch for much of their newer stuff, as I haven't used them in about 10yrs, but I can't recall any quality-related problems throughout the 80's & 90's. I used them exclusively (due to supplier's inability to provide anything else of quality) in literally hundreds of applications.

I'm a big fan of a small 4 venturi carb on those engines. Keep the primary throttle bore as small as you can and you should improve both low RPM throttle response and average MPG (if you can keep your foot out of it).

Back to the OP-- Speed Pro used to be a quality product and probably still is. I cannot vouch for much of their newer stuff, as I haven't used them in about 10yrs, but I can't recall any quality-related problems throughout the 80's & 90's. I used them exclusively (due to supplier's inability to provide anything else of quality) in literally hundreds of applications.
I ran a Rochester Quadrajet on an early Mustang 289 cast iron 4 bbl intake (with a modified upsidedown Holley to Q-jet 4 hole adapter) and it fit under the hood of my early Bronco (even with a 4" tall K&N filter). It was ultra responsive down low, really jumped when the massive secondaries opened up, ran damn near on it's side (almost as good as EFI) and got great gas mileage! I'm actually rethinking my GM TBI swap in favor of another Q-jet on the 351W that replaced the 302. As for the pistons, I like the Keith Black Silvolites better than the Speed Pros but, you couldn't beat the price I paid for the kit.......pistons, rings, rod/main/cam bearings and full gasket set for $339!--------Hans

So here's a question: I've always loved the look of those old Broncos and Blazers--would you prefer to be driving/wheeling one of those over the XJ? Strengths, weaknesses?

Hans- That's a good deal for the rebuild kit. Care to share with us where you're buying from?

Last edited:
So here's a question: I've always loved the look of those old Broncos and Blazers--would you prefer to be driving/wheeling one of those over the XJ? Strengths, weaknesses?
You kidding? I love my Bronco.......the only things I kept through my divorce were my Bronco, guns and camping gear (I lost my sanity for a little while). My Bronco has been through some of the toughest trails of the western Sierras (with a trailer in tow most of the time) I've broken axle shafts, steering boxes and steering components, springs......etc but, it helped me find the weak links and address them accordingly. The early Bronco is one of the nimblest trail vehicles ever built (shorter than a CJ7 and a tad longer than a Landcruiser) had stout frames and axles.....sorry but, as you can tell I'm really fond of my old horse (I've owned it for over 22 yrs). I really love my XJ and have plans for it but, money (and the dead motor) has been an obstacle. I hope to have the motor back together in the next couple of weeks.----------Hans

Thanks Hans. You da man!

Back