• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering leak

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj inline 6, 214,000 miles on it. I have a power steering leak right now from one of the hoses on the pump. My power steering has been making loud noises, I was wanting to know how much damage could be done if I dont get these hoses replaced soon?

Destroy the pump = $.

Pump seizes, pulley snaps off and bounces down the road and takes out the windshield of a police cruiser = Priceless.

If it is making noise it is probably already bad. Have you found where it is leaking from? If it is as bad as it sounds, the hoses are probably fine and the pump is probably leaking.

You probably need a pump and at least the high pressure hose. When my pump was leaking, I figured that it was already 10 years old, so I replaced the high pressure side and flushed the fluid. Why wait until you need a new steering box too. $$$$$$$$$ & work.

It looks like it may be a leak from the hoses but I'm very doubtful about that . My basic question pretty much got answered, but from what I'm gathering here is that there is no immediate danger to my steering box? It will probably be a good week before I'm able to replace it or pay to have it replaced.

Back