• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Size Debate

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the market for new tires and am torn between the 265/70r16 size and the 265/75r16 size. These measure 31.7" and 30.6" respectively. I have the RE 3.5" lift and currently run 275/70r16 tires these measure about 31.2". The 30.6" seem the safer route in terms of not rubbing. Anyone have any experience with the 265/75r16 or a similar size with a 3.5" lift? Any reason to choose the larger size over the slightly smaller one? Pics? I searched around but was unable to find much.

what backspacing do you have on the rims?

3.5" RE lift should be able to handle 31.6"

what type of wheeling do you do, do you need a larger tire for what you use your xj for.

are you running stock gearing?

what backspacing do you have on the rims?

3.5" RE lift should be able to handle 31.6"

I'm running the 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1s so it looks like the backspacing is 4.03".

what type of wheeling do you do, do you need a larger tire for what you use your xj for.

So far most of my wheeling has been at Silver Lake Sand Dunes and on friends/families private property with a few trips to Mounds ORV area thrown in. So I guess a lot of sand dunes with some mild trails.

are you running stock gearing?

Yup

You shouldnt be having rubbing problems. You may have to bumpstop a hair but other than that should be fine.

32x11.5 on 3" of lift, no rubbing.

finch-jeep.jpg

Excellent. I see the Jeep pictured is a pre-96. The tires will be going on a 2001. I've heard the 96+ are less forgiving about fitting larger tires. Will this be a problem?

Excellent. I see the Jeep pictured is a pre-96. The tires will be going on a 2001. I've heard the 96+ are less forgiving about fitting larger tires. Will this be a problem?

I've put bigger tires on several late models, and never heard or experianced that.

With 33's, you have to trim the quarters a bit, but 32's seem to fit fine.

I have 245/75R16 on my 2" of lift so with minimal rubbing. I don't see it being a problem with 265s on a 3", especially since most RE lifts sit higher than advertised.

Here's mine with 2" front/3" rear on the 245s
FreshandClean4-15-08002.jpg

Awesome jeep, I still have my front plastic valence thing on since mine came with fog lights, will that make much of a difference? It's not really big deal though, I'm sure I can come up with some way to trim it up nice.

These are big 31's, had to trim metal and stretch the the arches back - and they still catch - also got bump stop extenders fitted at that.

Really depends how much you are going to be using it

S1050642.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running 33x12.5 TSL's on a RE 3.5" lift on my 98. I had to trim about 2-3" off the fenders front and rear to not rub. Love it now though.

I originally had 31's on it with the lift and didn't rub at all. I'd def. go with the bigger tire. And then you'll decide you want bigger ones and then you'll start cutting your fenders!

Here's a few pics so you can see:

OcalaTrip1-24-09070-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09074.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09082.jpg

265/70r16 size and the 265/75r16 size. These measure 31.7" and 30.6" respectively

Um...265/75r16s measure 31.7 and 265/70r16s measure 30.6". Just wanted to make sure nobody gets confused....

I just bought a brand new set of BFG A/Ts in 265/70r16 and mounted them on Rubicon rims. I also have a 3.5" RE lift. I installed the tires and tested for rubbing. It appears the only area I will need to trim will be about 2" off the rear of the front wheel well. I'm hoping I can trim metal and flex the flare 2" rearward at the bottom and reattach to cover up the rough edge. The rears clear fine. Doesn't appear the steering will need to be adjusted either. I have about 2" clearance to the arms at full turn. Of coarse this will be a starting point and I'll let you know what I ultimatly end up trimming.

I think Rubicon rims have a 5" backspacing. I was hoping this would help with fender rub and it appears it's minimal compared to a 11.50 inch wide tire on rims with less backspacing.

I would post pics, but I just painted the rims graphite (oh man do they look good), so I can't mount them for a few days. I'll post pics of the trimming and the rims!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the pics. Sorry about switching up the tire sizes. I went with the 265/75r16's and they rub a little bit but I don't think it will take much trimming to solve the problem.

Awesome jeep, I still have my front plastic valence thing on since mine came with fog lights, will that make much of a difference? It's not really big deal though, I'm sure I can come up with some way to trim it up nice.

Thanks. I removed mine a while ago but no it won't make a difference, but I'd be very suprised if you didn't rub the corners. I actually trimmed more after taking it offroad and seeing how much I caught them with the tires. They are now like this to help with clearance:
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTUuanBn.jpg

Back